"beautiful brittany by the coast" Concarneau by gwened
Concarneau Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 176 photos
ville close or enclosed city, walls of granite stones,and inside a mini city just gorgeous, nice view of the harbor and boats, and seafood Brittany at its best.
a bit of history to understand this wonderful fortified city.
At the end of the 11C, the site called Conq became the seat of the ducal chancellery, at the 15C under the reigns of Dukes Pierre II, Arthur III, and François II, the city is described as « entirely fortified>. At the end of the 16C, the place de Concarneau saw the last of the military events under its ramparts during the war of religions.
In the 17C, it is already a royal town,seat of the senegal and stays until 1789.
At this time in the 17_18C the master of the special boat of the area call the chaloupe, occupied the ramparts and streets near the harbor and put their sardines business. The naval shipyards builts the chaloupes sardinières, etc. Eventually the town merged the two communes nearby of Beuzec-conq in 1945 and Lanriec in 1959.
The chalutiers still fish here to just north of Scotland , and the tuna boats cruise the Seychelles, and in the gulf of Guinea. Now, Concarneau is the 3rd port in tonnage and the 3rd port of fresh fishing in France, as well as the 1st port of tuna in Europe!
across the bay from old fortress
the pl 8 mai 1945 vast space for parking and walk all over, just across from the ville close
- Pros:a nice coastal town with an enclose city
- In a nutshell:The Ville Close or enclosed city of Brittany
so many views gorgeous sights and wonderful town 89 kms from home. I share some more photos. The famous Beffroi or... more travel advice
Inside the ville close; a magnificent historical home. a bit more It was built early in the 17C as a hangar open on a... more travel advice
Written Oct 5, 2014
Written Oct 5, 2014
The sea around Concarneau
gwened's Related Pages
Concarneau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Concarneau revisited"
- "beautiful brittany by the coast"
- "The bay of Concarneau"
- "A Small Walled Port Town"
- "CONCARNEAU HARBOUR"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Concarneau
- Hotels in Concarneau
- Transportation in Concarneau
- Restaurants in Concarneau
- Shopping in Concarneau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Concarneau
- 25 Reviews
- 106 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (294)
Have you been to Concarneau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Concarneau
Photos in ConcarneauSee All Photos (106)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 349 reviews, 1101 photos, 20 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 257 reviews, 882 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 195 reviews, 797 photos, 15 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 208 reviews, 576 photos, 7 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 131 reviews, 551 photos, 10 travelogues
- Aquitaine Intro, 104 reviews, 445 photos, 18 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 101 reviews, 419 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 100 reviews, 293 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 71 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Centre Intro, 89 reviews, 255 photos, 2 travelogues