"beautiful brittany by the coast" Concarneau by gwened
Concarneau Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 120 photos
ville close or enclosed city, walls of granite stones,and inside a mini city just gorgeous, nice view of the harbor and boats, and seafood Brittany at its best.
a bit of history to understand this wonderful fortified city.
At the end of the 11C, the site called Conq became the seat of the ducal chancellery, at the 15C under the reigns of Dukes Pierre II, Arthur III, and François II, the city is described as « entirely fortified>. At the end of the 16C, the place de Concarneau saw the last of the military events under its ramparts during the war of religions.
In the 17C, it is already a royal town,seat of the senegal and stays until 1789.
At this time in the 17_18C the master of the special boat of the area call the chaloupe, occupied the ramparts and streets near the harbor and put their sardines business. The naval shipyards builts the chaloupes sardinières, etc. Eventually the town merged the two communes nearby of Beuzec-conq in 1945 and Lanriec in 1959.
The chalutiers still fish here to just north of Scotland , and the tuna boats cruise the Seychelles, and in the gulf of Guinea. Now, Concarneau is the 3rd port in tonnage and the 3rd port of fresh fishing in France, as well as the 1st port of tuna in Europe!
across the bay from old fortress
the pl 8 mai 1945 vast space for parking and walk all over, just across from the ville close
- Pros:a nice coastal town with an enclose city
- In a nutshell:The Ville Close or enclosed city of Brittany
It is wonderful to walk here, so much to see ,my first time here didn't even entered here, then came back to see and now... more travel advice
walled city or ville close,fortress walls nicely done, a must see in the area the ville close, or fortified city ,only... more travel advice
gwened's Related Pages
Concarneau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Concarneau revisited"
- "The bay of Concarneau"
- "A Small Walled Port Town"
- "beautiful brittany by the coast"
- "CONCARNEAU HARBOUR"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Concarneau
- Hotels in Concarneau
- Transportation in Concarneau
- Restaurants in Concarneau
- Shopping in Concarneau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Concarneau
- 17 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (152)
Have you been to Concarneau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Concarneau
- Posted in Travel The Bahamas Forum "Re: Bahamas out island advice "
- Commented on one of gwened's Concarneau travel pages
- Wrote a Review walk the ville close or walled city in Concarneau Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "walk the ville close or walled city"
- created a Concarneau Travelogue "walking Concarneau"
Photos in ConcarneauSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 280 reviews, 696 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 130 reviews, 402 photos, 6 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 106 reviews, 387 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 126 reviews, 366 photos, 6 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 85 reviews, 341 photos, 9 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 83 reviews, 277 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 68 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 85 reviews, 243 photos, 3 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 63 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quiberon Intro, 48 reviews, 154 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (67)
Latest Concarneau hotel reviews
- Citotel de France et d'Europe
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013