"A castle and horse racing a lovely history" Maisons-Laffitte by gwened
Maisons-Laffitte Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 24 photos
a wonderful castle right next to city center in a beautiful upscale town in my dept of residency Yvelines 78, not far from St Germain en Laye or Versailles.
The castle was done by architect Mansart as well as the gardens and was called by Charles Perrault as one of the most beautiful in France.
It was René de Longueil, President of the parliament of Paris ,and superintendant of finances, that ordered it built in 1651. He wanted to host the king Louis XIV while he came to hunt in the forest of Saint-Germain-en-Laye.
Le château de Maisons a connu des propriétaires et des hôtes prestigieux, qu'ils furent rois ou princes, empereurs ou maréchaux mais aussi écrivains ou penseurs tels que Voltaire, Madame de Staël ou Benjamin Constant
The racecourse or hippodrome de Maisons-Laffitte is the oldest racecourse in the Paris region. The castle and the domaine was purchased in 1818 by banker Jacques Laffitte.
The races were organised by his son Charles ,and the grandson the Prince de la Moskowa ,which brought buyers. While the park rented to Joseph Oller,he opens the racecourse permanently in 1878.
It is now the second biggest center of race horse training in France, and its the longest straight line racing in Europe as well as with Newmarket ,measuring more than 2 000 meters. Many races are held here now of importance such as the Prix Robert Papin
a wonderful church done by Mansart on order of Longueil, the finance minister. It kept up the services even during the French revolution. nice to see off main street
- Pros:lovely town with a nice castle and racecourse
- Cons:none to me
- In a nutshell:The town with a castle a horse and a history of France
a wonderful church and nice gardens, just around from ave de Longueil the main artery in town worth a detour while... more travel advice
a wonder house of goodies from the best parts of the world, an institution in the area since 1880, with savvy and... more travel advice
gwened's Related Pages
Maisons-Laffitte Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A castle and horse racing a lovely history"
- Create a Maisons-Laffitte Travel Page
- Things to Do in Maisons-Laffitte
- Transportation in Maisons-Laffitte
- Restaurants in Maisons-Laffitte
- Shopping in Maisons-Laffitte
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Maisons-Laffitte
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Maisons-Laffitte?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maisons-Laffitte
Photos in Maisons-LaffitteSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 227 reviews, 505 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 115 reviews, 350 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 110 reviews, 309 photos, 5 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 97 reviews, 317 photos, 4 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 75 reviews, 277 photos, 8 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 76 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- France Intro, 204 reviews, 137 photos, 2 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 73 reviews, 197 photos, 3 travelogues
- Quiberon Intro, 48 reviews, 154 photos, 3 travelogues
- Carnac Intro, 43 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues