"A mix of calvary history and chocolates at Pleyben" Pleyben by gwened
Pleyben Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 39 photos
This is a wonderful town housing some of the most extraordinary calvary religious monument in Brittany (consider one of the top 3 here) ,and the masterful chocolate making of Michel Chatillon.
Pleyben origins are not really well known but this is known . It was one of the oldest parishes of the ancient armoric in the 6C. It was known as Plebs Yben ("bourg d'Yben", where it was a Breton saint more or less mytic that was known as saint Yben or saint Ethbin) . It was there a name known as Pleyber-Christ, and written in the middle ages sometimes as Pleizben or Pleibe. Therefore, we are talking old here
the monument to the fallen of Pleyben has the names of the 318 inhabitants of the town who died for France during the wars of the 20C : 290 in WWI, 21 in WWII, 5 in the war of Indochina, and 2 in the war of Algeria .
Behind is the chapel done from 1690, and after many uses now is used for meetings and communions.
the tourist office of Pleyben in pl Charles de Gaulle. All is within walking distance from here
- Pros:Calvary and chocolates a heavenly combination
- Cons:need a car
- In a nutshell:The city where fervor is strong for God and chocolates!
a wonderful place full of friendly folks and marvelous chocolates made on site by maître chocolatier Michel... more travel advice
part of the calvary ensemble, and a must to see, one of the best 3 in all of Brittany The church or église Saint... more travel advice
gwened's Related Pages
Pleyben Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A mix of calvary history and chocolates at Pleyben"
- "A Parish Close"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pleyben
- 5 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (147)
Have you been to Pleyben?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pleyben
Photos in PleybenSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 271 reviews, 655 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 130 reviews, 402 photos, 6 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 106 reviews, 387 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 126 reviews, 366 photos, 6 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 84 reviews, 329 photos, 9 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 83 reviews, 277 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 68 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 85 reviews, 240 photos, 3 travelogues
- Quiberon Intro, 48 reviews, 154 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nantes Intro, 44 reviews, 143 photos