"A mix of calvary history and chocolates at Pleyben" Pleyben by gwened
Pleyben Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 61 photos
This is a wonderful town housing some of the most extraordinary calvary religious monument in Brittany (consider one of the top 3 here) ,and the masterful chocolate making of Michel Chatillon.
Pleyben origins are not really well known but this is known . It was one of the oldest parishes of the ancient armoric in the 6C. It was known as Plebs Yben ("bourg d'Yben", where it was a Breton saint more or less mytic that was known as saint Yben or saint Ethbin) . It was there a name known as Pleyber-Christ, and written in the middle ages sometimes as Pleizben or Pleibe.
And many wars, revolution, and modern wars ,its still here to amaze us of its beauty and remind us of history. Therefore, we are talking old here
the monument to the fallen of Pleyben has the names of the 318 inhabitants of the town who died for France during the wars of the 20C : 290 in WWI, 21 in WWII, 5 in the war of Indochina, and 2 in the war of Algeria .
Behind is the chapel done from 1690, and after many uses now is used for meetings and communions.
the tourist office of Pleyben in pl Charles de Gaulle. All is within walking distance from here
- Pros:Calvary and chocolates a heavenly combination
- Cons:need a car
- In a nutshell:The city where fervor is strong for God and chocolates!
Wonderful complex of church of St Germain and Calvary, tips written about in my page , but each passing by can't resist... more travel advice
very traditional créperie right across from the famous calvary in Pleyben (one of the oldest and best preserve in... more travel advice
gwened's Related Pages
Pleyben Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A mix of calvary history and chocolates at Pleyben"
- "A Parish Close"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pleyben
- Transportation in Pleyben
- Restaurants in Pleyben
- Shopping in Pleyben
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pleyben
- 11 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (295)
Have you been to Pleyben?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pleyben
Photos in PleybenSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 350 reviews, 1102 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 195 reviews, 797 photos, 15 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 208 reviews, 576 photos, 7 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 131 reviews, 551 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 148 reviews, 523 photos, 8 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 101 reviews, 419 photos, 11 travelogues
- Aquitaine Intro, 82 reviews, 340 photos, 14 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 101 reviews, 293 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 71 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Centre Intro, 89 reviews, 255 photos, 2 travelogues