"A mix of calvary history and chocolates at Pleyben" Pleyben by gwened
Pleyben Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 59 photos
This is a wonderful town housing some of the most extraordinary calvary religious monument in Brittany (consider one of the top 3 here) ,and the masterful chocolate making of Michel Chatillon.
Pleyben origins are not really well known but this is known . It was one of the oldest parishes of the ancient armoric in the 6C. It was known as Plebs Yben ("bourg d'Yben", where it was a Breton saint more or less mytic that was known as saint Yben or saint Ethbin) . It was there a name known as Pleyber-Christ, and written in the middle ages sometimes as Pleizben or Pleibe.
And many wars, revolution, and modern wars ,its still here to amaze us of its beauty and remind us of history. Therefore, we are talking old here
the monument to the fallen of Pleyben has the names of the 318 inhabitants of the town who died for France during the wars of the 20C : 290 in WWI, 21 in WWII, 5 in the war of Indochina, and 2 in the war of Algeria .
Behind is the chapel done from 1690, and after many uses now is used for meetings and communions.
the tourist office of Pleyben in pl Charles de Gaulle. All is within walking distance from here
- Pros:Calvary and chocolates a heavenly combination
- Cons:need a car
- In a nutshell:The city where fervor is strong for God and chocolates!
I needed to come back for my regular rides when home on the weekends with the family so here are some more photos of... more travel advice
well how can you come to France and not go to a bakery or boulangerie usually a pâtisserie as well. This is a must. We... more travel advice
gwened's Related Pages
Pleyben Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A mix of calvary history and chocolates at Pleyben"
- "A Parish Close"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pleyben
- Transportation in Pleyben
- Restaurants in Pleyben
- Shopping in Pleyben
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pleyben
- 10 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (217)
Have you been to Pleyben?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pleyben
Photos in PleybenSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 310 reviews, 887 photos, 15 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 200 reviews, 634 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 155 reviews, 554 photos, 9 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 109 reviews, 409 photos, 6 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 135 reviews, 360 photos, 5 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 94 reviews, 396 photos, 11 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 85 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 92 reviews, 258 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 68 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Centre Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues