"The city of artists and a lot more..." Pont-Aven by gwened
Pont-Aven Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 147 photos
The town is there since 1790, but did gather real fame until the American artists began to arrive in 1865. The American Henry Bacon was the first one, and describe the city as “Its the most beautiful village that I have ever saw until now, with its strange bridge below a river rapids that make turns several wheels of a windmills with the waters going to the ocean ,short distance away” Bacon while in Paris finds his friends Robert Wylie and Charles Way, both from the Philadelphia academy,and soon many others come from the USA,London, and the Nordic countries. Others follow such as local boy André Even, Marcel Gonzalez,writer and poet Xavier Grall (bust in main square and promenade after his name), the local heroe of WWII Daniel Lomenech, and the great Paul Gauguin, making 6 trips here from 1886 to 1894; and those that follow him,such as Cuno Amiet, Mogens Ballin, Emile Bernard,Robert Bevan, Ernest de Chamaillard,Henri Delavallee,Maurice Denis,Emile Dezaunay, Charles Filiger, Eric Forbes Robertson,Emile Jourdan, Charles Laval,Gustave Loiseau, Maxime Maufra, Jacob Meyer de Haan, Henry Moret, Roderic O’Conor, Ferdinand du Puigaudeau, George Rasetti, Louis Roy,Armand Seguin, Paul Serusier, and Wladyslaw Slewkinski. Too many to detail here but you can learn more now.
You have nearby the megaliths stones call Menhirs of Kerangosquer I, and the Dolmens of Kermac or Sainte Maudé
Next in fame here were the windmills or moulins; by 1880 ,there were 15 here, their names, Haut Bois, du Plessis,Moulin Neuf,Kermentec (painted by Gauguin in 1894), Kerniguez, Petit Poulguin,Pénanros,Scierie Brunou, Petite Tourte, Poulhoas,Rosmadec, Porte Neuve,Ty Meur,Grand Poulguin,and Petit Pénanros.
And great chocolates breton, larnicol ,an institution native of quimper. Established now all over France with heavey presence in BRittany
- Pros:very nice artists' town, lovely river rapids and windmills
- Cons:best by car
- In a nutshell:The city of artists and windmills
wonderful area to walk and see the nice architecture and marina life in Pont Aven, you have free parking and great... more travel advice
this is a biscuits and candy store part of La Maison de l'Armorique and stores Under the name of Niniches. They have... more travel advice
gwened's Related Pages
Pont-Aven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stratford on Aven"
- "Thoughts While Passing Through"
- "The city of artists and a lot more..."
- "artist town"
- "Enchanting Village of Artists"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pont-Aven
- Hotels in Pont-Aven
- Transportation in Pont-Aven
- Restaurants in Pont-Aven
- Shopping in Pont-Aven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pont-Aven
- 19 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (317)
Have you been to Pont-Aven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pont-Aven
Photos in Pont-AvenSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 374 reviews, 1254 photos, 24 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 217 reviews, 933 photos, 21 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 135 reviews, 572 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 142 reviews, 503 photos, 8 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 118 reviews, 522 photos, 15 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 141 reviews, 391 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 110 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 69 reviews, 267 photos, 4 travelogues
- Quiberon Intro, 69 reviews, 265 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 62 reviews, 267 photos, 5 travelogues