"The city of artists and a lot more..." Pont-Aven by gwened
Pont-Aven Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 101 photos
The town is there since 1790, but did gather real fame until the American artists began to arrive in 1865. The American Henry Bacon was the first one, and describe the city as “Its the most beautiful village that I have ever saw until now, with its strange bridge below a river rapids that make turns several wheels of a windmills with the waters going to the ocean ,short distance away” Bacon while in Paris finds his friends Robert Wylie and Charles Way, both from the Philadelphia academy,and soon many others come from the USA,London, and the Nordic countries. Others follow such as local boy André Even, Marcel Gonzalez,writer and poet Xavier Grall (bust in main square and promenade after his name), the local heroe of WWII Daniel Lomenech, and the great Paul Gauguin, making 6 trips here from 1886 to 1894; and those that follow him,such as Cuno Amiet, Mogens Ballin, Emile Bernard,Robert Bevan, Ernest de Chamaillard,Henri Delavallee,Maurice Denis,Emile Dezaunay, Charles Filiger, Eric Forbes Robertson,Emile Jourdan, Charles Laval,Gustave Loiseau, Maxime Maufra, Jacob Meyer de Haan, Henry Moret, Roderic O’Conor, Ferdinand du Puigaudeau, George Rasetti, Louis Roy,Armand Seguin, Paul Serusier, and Wladyslaw Slewkinski. Too many to detail here but you can learn more now.
You have nearby the megaliths stones call Menhirs of Kerangosquer I, and the Dolmens of Kermac or Sainte Maudé
Next in fame here were the windmills or moulins; by 1880 ,there were 15 here, their names, Haut Bois, du Plessis,Moulin Neuf,Kermentec (painted by Gauguin in 1894), Kerniguez, Petit Poulguin,Pénanros,Scierie Brunou, Petite Tourte, Poulhoas,Rosmadec, Porte Neuve,Ty Meur,Grand Poulguin,and Petit Pénanros.
And great chocolates breton, larnicol ,an institution native of quimper. Established now all over France with heavey presence in BRittany
- Pros:very nice artists' town, lovely river rapids and windmills
- Cons:best by car
- In a nutshell:The city of artists and windmills
again my best past time is to walk these wonderful towns anywhere, and Pont Aven is no exception. History, quaint... more travel advice
The windmills or moulins here are very famous and numbered at one time in 1880 ,about 15 here, their names, Haut Bois,... more travel advice
gwened's Related Pages
Pont-Aven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stratford on Aven"
- "Thoughts While Passing Through"
- "The city of artists and a lot more..."
- "artist town"
- "Enchanting Village of Artists"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pont-Aven
- Hotels in Pont-Aven
- Transportation in Pont-Aven
- Restaurants in Pont-Aven
- Shopping in Pont-Aven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pont-Aven
- 10 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Pont-Aven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pont-Aven
- Posted in Travel Brussels Forum "Re: Brussels Sim Phone Cards"
- Commented on one of gwened's Pont-Aven travel pages
- Wrote a Review How to get in and out of Pont Aven in Pont-Aven Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Walk Pont Aven"
- updated a Pont-Aven Travel Page "The city of artists and a lot more..."
Photos in Pont-AvenSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 307 reviews, 839 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 138 reviews, 436 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 135 reviews, 398 photos, 6 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 107 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 90 reviews, 383 photos, 11 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 83 reviews, 278 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 68 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 90 reviews, 251 photos, 3 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 77 reviews, 176 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quiberon Intro, 54 reviews, 185 photos, 4 travelogues