"The end of the land or world Finistere, Quimper" Quimper by gwened
Quimper Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 182 photos
one of the extreme most western cities in France, Quimper;(Kemper in Breton) beautiful city with a river going thru it the Odet, 15 kms from the coast, then a wonderful Cathedral st Corentin, and great museums with great food; nice combination, come and see my back of the woods and will know what I mean
see the travelogue for more random photos of the city. Visit often alright just 100 kms or 62 miles from my house lol!!!
a bit of recent history ::)
From writings dating from 1235AD ,the life of Saint Corentin gives credit to the foundation of the city to a Gradlon around the 5 to 6C. king of the city of d'Ys, Gradlon would have it donated his castle in the confluents of the river Odet to the hermit Corentin to have built his Cathedral. This story or leyend appears again in the second book of the life of Saint Guénolé written by 880AD. Gradlon is the central personage in the leyend of the city of d'Ys,sort of an Atlantis Breton, whereby its origins are lost in the oral celtique tradition. During the centuries that followed many writers have taken this myths to enrich the many variants of the story. A statue in horse of Gradlon is at the local museum of Breton arts or Musée Départemental Breton.
A lovely town to visit indeed, you will love it. And my oldest son will work here soon ::)
a city cut by a river ;sound familial,yes;its beautiful
L'Odet (Oded in breton) is a river on the coastal breton of 62 kms long that takes its source in the black mountains or montagnes Noires at Saint-Goazec, in the area known as Yeun-ar-Vouster, and ends on the Atlantic ocean between Sainte-Marine and Bénodet (in breton Ben" = «river mouth » and therefore « river mouth of the Odet ».
an old fortress overlooking the city now in ruins, but the views are nice,and next to tourist office!
promenade de mont frugy
- Pros:a nice old world city full of charm,quaint cozy
- Cons:none to report
- In a nutshell:The end of the world or is it the beauty at the end of a trail
This is the highlight of the visit or any ride the poneys at rue saint François, near the covered market on the way from... more travel advice
Enter at your own risk, this is chocolate heaven and I am always on the clouds when coming here. We love chocolates and... more travel advice
gwened's Related Pages
Quimper Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Cult of Saint Anne"
- "Quimper, Bretagne."
- "Quimper and its curved cathedral . . ."
- "The end of the land or world Finistere, Quimper"
- "We Came Here only to See the Cathedral"
- "Home of Laguiole"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quimper
- Hotels in Quimper
- Transportation in Quimper
- Restaurants in Quimper
- Shopping in Quimper
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Quimper
- 20 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (147)
Have you been to Quimper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quimper
Photos in QuimperSee All Photos (95)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 268 reviews, 641 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 130 reviews, 402 photos, 6 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 106 reviews, 387 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 126 reviews, 366 photos, 6 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 84 reviews, 329 photos, 9 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 83 reviews, 277 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 68 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 85 reviews, 240 photos, 3 travelogues
- Quiberon Intro, 48 reviews, 154 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nantes Intro, 44 reviews, 143 photos