"The end of the land or world Finistere, Quimper" Quimper by gwened
Quimper Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 234 photos
one of the extreme most western cities in France, Quimper;(Kemper in Breton) beautiful city with a river going thru it the Odet, 15 kms from the coast, then a wonderful Cathedral st Corentin, and great museums with great food; nice combination, come and see my back of the woods and will know what I mean
see the travelogue for more random photos of the city. Visit often alright just 100 kms or 62 miles from my house lol!!!
One of the cities of Art and History of France by the Ministry of Culture of France
a bit of recent history ::)
From writings dating from 1235AD ,the life of Saint Corentin gives credit to the foundation of the city to a Gradlon around the 5 to 6C. king of the city of d'Ys, Gradlon would have it donated his castle in the confluents of the river Odet to the hermit Corentin to have built his Cathedral. This story or leyend appears again in the second book of the life of Saint Guénolé written by 880AD. Gradlon is the central personage in the leyend of the city of d'Ys,sort of an Atlantis Breton, whereby its origins are lost in the oral celtique tradition. During the centuries that followed many writers have taken this myths to enrich the many variants of the story. A statue in horse of Gradlon is at the local museum of Breton arts or Musée Départemental Breton.
A lovely town to visit indeed, you will love it. And my oldest son will work here soon ::)
a city cut by a river ;sound familial,yes;its beautiful
L'Odet (Oded in breton) is a river on the coastal breton of 62 kms long that takes its source in the black mountains or montagnes Noires at Saint-Goazec, in the area known as Yeun-ar-Vouster, and ends on the Atlantic ocean between Sainte-Marine and Bénodet (in breton Ben" = «river mouth » and therefore « river mouth of the Odet ».
an old fortress overlooking the city now in ruins, but the views are nice,and next to tourist office!
promenade de mont frugy
- Pros:a nice old world city full of charm,quaint cozy
- Cons:none to report
- In a nutshell:The end of the world or is it the beauty at the end of a trail
The quaint wonderful little train takes you in one sweep to all major sights in the city and commented. So if little... more travel advice
We decided to go for a new one,and boy/girl did we hit a jackpot. This is absolutely why we are in France, traditional... more travel advice
gwened's Related Pages
Quimper Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Cult of Saint Anne"
- "Quimper and its curved cathedral . . ."
- "Quimper, Bretagne."
- "The end of the land or world Finistere, Quimper"
- "We Came Here only to See the Cathedral"
- "Quimper France"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quimper
- Hotels in Quimper
- Transportation in Quimper
- Nightlife in Quimper
- Restaurants in Quimper
- Shopping in Quimper
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quimper
- 32 Reviews
- 137 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (345)
Have you been to Quimper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quimper
Photos in QuimperSee All Photos (137)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 383 reviews, 1305 photos, 26 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 228 reviews, 989 photos, 21 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 173 reviews, 642 photos, 11 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 142 reviews, 604 photos, 12 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 121 reviews, 527 photos, 15 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 138 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 117 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 52 reviews, 313 photos, 15 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 69 reviews, 267 photos, 4 travelogues
- Quiberon Intro, 69 reviews, 265 photos, 5 travelogues