"The end of the land or world Finistere, Quimper" Quimper by gwened
Quimper Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 222 photos
one of the extreme most western cities in France, Quimper;(Kemper in Breton) beautiful city with a river going thru it the Odet, 15 kms from the coast, then a wonderful Cathedral st Corentin, and great museums with great food; nice combination, come and see my back of the woods and will know what I mean
see the travelogue for more random photos of the city. Visit often alright just 100 kms or 62 miles from my house lol!!!
a bit of recent history ::)
From writings dating from 1235AD ,the life of Saint Corentin gives credit to the foundation of the city to a Gradlon around the 5 to 6C. king of the city of d'Ys, Gradlon would have it donated his castle in the confluents of the river Odet to the hermit Corentin to have built his Cathedral. This story or leyend appears again in the second book of the life of Saint Guénolé written by 880AD. Gradlon is the central personage in the leyend of the city of d'Ys,sort of an Atlantis Breton, whereby its origins are lost in the oral celtique tradition. During the centuries that followed many writers have taken this myths to enrich the many variants of the story. A statue in horse of Gradlon is at the local museum of Breton arts or Musée Départemental Breton.
A lovely town to visit indeed, you will love it. And my oldest son will work here soon ::)
a city cut by a river ;sound familial,yes;its beautiful
L'Odet (Oded in breton) is a river on the coastal breton of 62 kms long that takes its source in the black mountains or montagnes Noires at Saint-Goazec, in the area known as Yeun-ar-Vouster, and ends on the Atlantic ocean between Sainte-Marine and Bénodet (in breton Ben" = «river mouth » and therefore « river mouth of the Odet ».
an old fortress overlooking the city now in ruins, but the views are nice,and next to tourist office!
promenade de mont frugy
- Pros:a nice old world city full of charm,quaint cozy
- Cons:none to report
- In a nutshell:The end of the world or is it the beauty at the end of a trail
This is a five theater movie house along the river Odet and across from city center and all its sights. very convenient... more travel advice
right by the gare or train station and near city center you find this grocery store we have try in several places in... more travel advice
- See All Théatre Max Jacobs
- See All Marché de Noêl
- Quimper, its a city for the Arts
gwened's Related Pages
Quimper Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Cult of Saint Anne"
- "Quimper, Bretagne."
- "Quimper and its curved cathedral . . ."
- "The end of the land or world Finistere, Quimper"
- "We Came Here only to See the Cathedral"
- "Home of Laguiole"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quimper
- Hotels in Quimper
- Transportation in Quimper
- Nightlife in Quimper
- Restaurants in Quimper
- Shopping in Quimper
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quimper
- 30 Reviews
- 135 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (200)
Have you been to Quimper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quimper
- Posted in Travel United States of America Forum "Re: Car rental charges"
- created a Quimper Travelogue "Walk Quimper, its lovely all around"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Walk Quimper, its lovely all around"
- Wrote a Review Cinema , movies anyone! in Quimper Nightlife
- Commented on one of gwened's Quimper travel pages
Photos in QuimperSee All Photos (135)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 309 reviews, 863 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 141 reviews, 454 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 139 reviews, 419 photos, 6 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 107 reviews, 392 photos, 5 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 91 reviews, 385 photos, 11 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 109 reviews, 277 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 83 reviews, 278 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 91 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 68 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Centre Intro, 67 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues