"The end of the land or world Finistere, Quimper" Quimper by gwened
Quimper Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 233 photos
one of the extreme most western cities in France, Quimper;(Kemper in Breton) beautiful city with a river going thru it the Odet, 15 kms from the coast, then a wonderful Cathedral st Corentin, and great museums with great food; nice combination, come and see my back of the woods and will know what I mean
see the travelogue for more random photos of the city. Visit often alright just 100 kms or 62 miles from my house lol!!!
a bit of recent history ::)
From writings dating from 1235AD ,the life of Saint Corentin gives credit to the foundation of the city to a Gradlon around the 5 to 6C. king of the city of d'Ys, Gradlon would have it donated his castle in the confluents of the river Odet to the hermit Corentin to have built his Cathedral. This story or leyend appears again in the second book of the life of Saint Guénolé written by 880AD. Gradlon is the central personage in the leyend of the city of d'Ys,sort of an Atlantis Breton, whereby its origins are lost in the oral celtique tradition. During the centuries that followed many writers have taken this myths to enrich the many variants of the story. A statue in horse of Gradlon is at the local museum of Breton arts or Musée Départemental Breton.
A lovely town to visit indeed, you will love it. And my oldest son will work here soon ::)
a city cut by a river ;sound familial,yes;its beautiful
L'Odet (Oded in breton) is a river on the coastal breton of 62 kms long that takes its source in the black mountains or montagnes Noires at Saint-Goazec, in the area known as Yeun-ar-Vouster, and ends on the Atlantic ocean between Sainte-Marine and Bénodet (in breton Ben" = «river mouth » and therefore « river mouth of the Odet ».
an old fortress overlooking the city now in ruins, but the views are nice,and next to tourist office!
promenade de mont frugy
- Pros:a nice old world city full of charm,quaint cozy
- Cons:none to report
- In a nutshell:The end of the world or is it the beauty at the end of a trail
The quaint wonderful little train takes you in one sweep to all major sights in the city and commented. So if little... more travel advice
We decided to go for a new one,and boy/girl did we hit a jackpot. This is absolutely why we are in France, traditional... more travel advice
gwened's Related Pages
Quimper Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Cult of Saint Anne"
- "Quimper, Bretagne."
- "Quimper and its curved cathedral . . ."
- "The end of the land or world Finistere, Quimper"
- "We Came Here only to See the Cathedral"
- "Quimper France"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quimper
- Hotels in Quimper
- Transportation in Quimper
- Nightlife in Quimper
- Restaurants in Quimper
- Shopping in Quimper
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quimper
- 31 Reviews
- 136 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (249)
Have you been to Quimper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quimper
Photos in QuimperSee All Photos (136)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 341 reviews, 1068 photos, 20 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 246 reviews, 814 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 188 reviews, 739 photos, 13 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 197 reviews, 547 photos, 7 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 123 reviews, 494 photos, 8 travelogues
- Aquitaine Intro, 103 reviews, 438 photos, 18 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 101 reviews, 417 photos, 11 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 134 reviews, 281 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 100 reviews, 291 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 68 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues