"The castle of king Louis XIV" Saint-Germain-en-Laye by gwened
Saint-Germain-en-Laye Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 130 photos
where n the old one Louis XIV was born, and lived before moving on...now the museum of antiquities, gorgeous, grand, the history of France
behind street see the pavillon Henri VI where there is a seal telling you Louis XIV was born here.
To give lip service to this wonderful city very close to me for many years and spent many afternoons and evenings here. its a lovely town with rich history of France yet not so much visited. i encourage you to do so, its great. A royal town of France, the king was here!
A bit of history,the rich history of this royal town of France.
By 1124AD,the king Louis VI le Gros or Fat (1081-1137), that wanted to impose its authority on the region of ile de France decide to built a castle on the ground of the current one still, facing the church of Saint-Germain.
king François Ier,marries Claude de France in the chapel May 18 1514; and the castle becomes their favorite residency. king Henri II, is born here ,he that will be king by 1547.king Charles IX, in 1561,established a factory of glass or mirrors here. In 1599 king Henri IV, exempts all the residents of the town free of paying taxes ,this will last until 1789!
The king Louis XIII spent his childhood here at the Château-Vieux de Saint-Germain. From 1661 to 1682, king Louis XIV spent an important part of his life here ,and has decorated and arrange the gardens by Le Notre between 1663 to 1680. He,also, ordered the renovation and decoration of the apartments of the castle by Le Brun and Le Vau.
The exile king of Great Britain James II ,cousin of king Louis XIV lived here from 1689 until his death at 1701 (his tomb is at the church of St Germain across the street). In 1777,king Louis XVI bequest the castle in bad condition already to his brother Charles, comte d'Artois, the future king Charles X.
On March 8, 1862 an imperial decree is ordered to create on the castle a museum of celtique and gallo roman antiquities or « Musée des antiquités celtiques et gallo-romaines » , later renamed the national antiquities museum or « Musée des antiquités nationales », and more recently the National Archeological museum or « Musée d'archéologie nationale ». The first rooms of the museum were open by emperor Napoléon III on May 18 , 1867.
On September 10, 1919 the treaty of Saint-Germain (same time as the treaty of Versailles with Germany) was signed in the main room of the castle , this treaty establishing the peace between the allies and Austria ,and ends the dynasty of the Austro-Hungarian empire .
During the WWII, the city is again under nazi occupation from June 14, 1940 to August 25, 1944. The colonel général von Rundstedt , prepares the opération Seeloewe, or the invasion of Great Britain from here. The city becomes the seat of the operation Ob West, or the HQ of Nazi troops from Norway to Biarritz. Many bunkers are built from 1943 by prisioner workers taken from the Organisation Todt, and especially the buried bunkers done for the commanders and located by thestreet rue Félicien David.
The city has museums and many buildings and houses of the period, and a great marché or market not to be missed.
grill entrance to the park
going to the esplanade where the gardens were done by Le Notre and have wonderful views to Paris
- Pros:From Louis XIV the history of France
- In a nutshell:The history of France,another royal town
one of the hidden beauties of this royal town of France that I lived near and spent many times in it. The Pavillon... more travel advice
Saint Germain en Laye is his birthplace and he lived here as king for many years before moving on to the other... more travel advice
gwened's Related Pages
Saint-Germain-en-Laye Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Great day trip from Paris"
- "SAINT GERMAIN EN LAYE"
- "The castle of king Louis XIV"
- "On the West Side of Paris At End of RER Line A"
- "Saint Germain en Laye"
- "Saint-Germain-en-Laye, FR"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint-Germain-en-Laye
- Hotels in Saint-Germain-en-Laye
- Transportation in Saint-Germain-en-Laye
- Restaurants in Saint-Germain-en-Laye
- Shopping in Saint-Germain-en-Laye
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint-Germain-en-Laye
- 17 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (279)
Have you been to Saint-Germain-en-Laye?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Germain-en-Laye
- Posted in Travel Milan Forum "Re: An hotel near the Malpensa..."
- Commented on one of gwened's Saint-Germain-en-Laye tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fête des Loges"
- Wrote a Review Pavillon Sully in Saint-Germain-en-Laye Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on the Saint-Germain-en-Laye travel guide
- updated a Saint-Germain-en-Laye Travel Page "The castle of king Louis XIV"
Photos in Saint-Germain-en-LayeSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 347 reviews, 1091 photos, 20 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 252 reviews, 852 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 194 reviews, 788 photos, 15 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 206 reviews, 570 photos, 7 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 123 reviews, 494 photos, 8 travelogues
- Aquitaine Intro, 103 reviews, 440 photos, 18 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 101 reviews, 418 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 100 reviews, 291 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 71 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Centre Intro, 88 reviews, 253 photos, 2 travelogues