"Gateway to the Gulf of Morbihan" Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes by gwened
Vannes Travel Guide: 161 reviews and 509 photos
Vannes is it with the beautiful gulf of morbihan as its backdrops, you are in heaven by the sea
photo is from the old castle top above the ramparts looking down on city center and the Cathedral towers
a bit of history: It was near here that César and the Roman legions made camp near arzon, ,and just across they built Darioritum , they were not the only ones to invade, then came the Saxons,Normands, Goths,and Bretons by 1154AD under the name of Vénétes, it was one of the most prosperous cities in Brittany. It was placed under the authority of Duke Jean IV in 1364AD to 1399AD. She hosted the Breton parliament from 1514-1528. In 1532 king François I makes a visit to solidify the union of Brittany to France. Vannes was spared during WWII and it remain intact.
Vicente Ferrier came from Valencia Spain in the late 1390's and evangilise the area, dying here in 1419. He became Saint Vincent name all over, and buried at the Cathedral St Pierre in Vannes. Then before hime Emilianus was born in the 7C, and went on to built the monolithic church in the Bordeaux area, later name after him Saint Emilion. Cheers from Gwened (breton) Vannes is French.
a Breton saying "En bretagne la pluie ne mouille que les cons!" meaning In Brittany, the rain only wet the ...dummies.
I work here.
The area in old city center starts a canal of pleasure boats all the way to the Gulf of Morbihan, and the passenger terminal to visit the outlaying islands, Unesco World Heritage area indeed
Its a secret sshhhh!!!
- Pros:World heritage site and port just heavens
- Cons:nothing to report
- In a nutshell:The world's beauty at your doorsteps
This is another chain, and here in Vannes the store is big, beautifully display and nice friendly helpful staff. The... more travel advice
After many trips to Asia especially Vietnam, one of my work colleague here suggested a asian resto in Vannes. The place... more travel advice
- See All Vannes from the top to bottom!
- See All if you get sick help is on at Océane
- See All movies anyone at Garenne
- See All just for a passing to the beaches Ibis
- See All Hôtel de Ville
gwened's Related Pages
Vannes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gateway to the Gulf of Morbihan"
- "Vannes: Ancient Brittany"
- "A taste of holidays"
- "This is not my car"
- "Walled Vannes"
- "Beautiful Vannes"
- "Vannes in Morbihan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vannes
- Hotels in Vannes
- Transportation in Vannes
- Nightlife in Vannes
- Restaurants in Vannes
- Shopping in Vannes
- Warnings and Dangers in Vannes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vannes
- 141 Reviews
- 454 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (200)
Have you been to Vannes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vannes
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: MH 370 ..1 month of searching "
- Wrote a Review get your garden,home, deco ideas here J in Vannes Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "get your garden,home, deco ideas here J"
- updated a Vannes Travel Page "Gateway to the Gulf of Morbihan"
- Commented on the Vannes travel guide
- Commented on one of gwened's Vannes travel pages
Photos in VannesSee All Photos (454)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 309 reviews, 863 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 141 reviews, 454 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 139 reviews, 419 photos, 6 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 107 reviews, 392 photos, 5 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 91 reviews, 385 photos, 11 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 113 reviews, 286 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 83 reviews, 278 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 91 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 68 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Centre Intro, 72 reviews, 200 photos, 2 travelogues