"Gateway to the Gulf of Morbihan" Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes by gwened
Vannes Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 457 photos
Vannes is it with the beautiful gulf of morbihan as its backdrops, you are in heaven by the sea
photo is from the old castle top above the ramparts looking down on city center and the Cathedral towers
a bit of history: It was near here that César and the Roman legions made camp near arzon, ,and just across they built Darioritum , they were not the only ones to invade, then came the Saxons,Normands, Goths,and Bretons by 1154AD under the name of Vénétes, it was one of the most prosperous cities in Brittany. It was placed under the authority of Duke Jean IV in 1364AD to 1399AD. She hosted the Breton parliament from 1514-1528. In 1532 king François I makes a visit to solidify the union of Brittany to France. Vannes was spared during WWII and it remain intact.
Vicente Ferrier came from Valencia Spain in the late 1390's and evangilise the area, dying here in 1419. He became Saint Vincent name all over, and buried at the Cathedral St Pierre in Vannes. Then before hime Emilianus was born in the 7C, and went on to built the monolithic church in the Bordeaux area, later name after him Saint Emilion. Cheers from Gwened (breton) Vannes is French.
a Breton saying "En bretagne la pluie ne mouille que les cons!" meaning In Brittany, the rain only wet the ...dummies.
I work here.
The area in old city center starts a canal of pleasure boats all the way to the Gulf of Morbihan, and the passenger terminal to visit the outlaying islands, Unesco World Heritage area indeed
the site of government in the city, the hotel de ville or city hall ,stillunder renovation a beauty of the city
26 Place Maurice Marchais 56000 Vannes
The building is at the above place previously called place Napoléon, and previous the old market square or place du Marché. It was built putting the first stone on December 12 1880 and finally done and open on July 11 1886.
- Pros:World heritage site and port just heavens
- Cons:nothing to report
- In a nutshell:The world's beauty at your doorsteps
This is where i get my travel luggage, umbrellas, gloves, accessories for travel and take the pictures for VT... the... more travel advice
This is the store we come to make keys, and adjust belts or repair shoes and other leather items. they also have... more travel advice
- See All Sights and pavements in Vannes
- See All just for a passing to the beaches Ibis
- See All Hôtel de Ville
- See All Again walk the ramparts of Vannes III
- See All Les Valseuses hanging out in the...
gwened's Related Pages
Vannes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gateway to the Gulf of Morbihan"
- "Vannes: Ancient Brittany"
- "A taste of holidays"
- "This is not my car"
- "Walled Vannes"
- "Beautiful Vannes"
- "Vannes in Morbihan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vannes
- Hotels in Vannes
- Transportation in Vannes
- Nightlife in Vannes
- Restaurants in Vannes
- Shopping in Vannes
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Vannes
- 130 Reviews
- 402 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (152)
Have you been to Vannes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vannes
Photos in VannesSee All Photos (402)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 280 reviews, 696 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 130 reviews, 402 photos, 6 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 106 reviews, 387 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 126 reviews, 366 photos, 6 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 85 reviews, 341 photos, 9 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 83 reviews, 277 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 68 reviews, 273 photos, 4 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 85 reviews, 243 photos, 3 travelogues
- Île-de-France Intro, 63 reviews, 145 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quiberon Intro, 48 reviews, 154 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (67)
Latest Vannes hotel reviews
- Mercure Vannes Aquarium
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 27, 2013
- Best Western Vannes Centre
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Hotel Le Richemont
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2013
- Villa Kerasy Hotel
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2013
- Ibis Vannes
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 30, 2013
- Formule 1 Vannes
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2011
- Escale Oceania Hotel Vannes
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013