"The royal city of France" Versailles by gwened
Versailles Travel Guide: 657 reviews and 2,428 photos
The city that gave rise to the French Republic, and constitution is still decided here, change here, amended here, and the seat of government when that happened ,last in 2009 is here.
I used to lived here for 9,5 years,last officially n Sept 14 2012; it will remained in my heart forever, Versailles city of kings and queens ::) I am still nostalgic about it, been to many places and live in many, but Versailles was is nice....Life goes on.
See it now in 3D thanks to google
A bit of history of Versailles;
It was by the year 1038AD, that VERSAILLES, shows up in history, as a land site owned by a certain HUGUES, as witness of a donation done by the abbey of Saint-Père, abbey EUDES, Count of CHARTRES .
Versailles would mean newly tilled land, evoking the idea of clearing as opposed to the widespread belief that our territory was only marshes, Woods and ponds.
The coat of arms of the city of Versailles represent an ecu courtesy of Royal towns and supported by two palmes d'Or crossed in saltire point. The events of 1789 (French revolution) has left us no trace of any record.However, if the lower part of the coat of arms represents indisputably the Royal House of France, the top cocks is the symbol of vigilance, represented by two cocks, vigilance with which. the municipality and the civil guard had to meet their double duty to the King and the city.
Hotel de Ville the old palace of the prince of Conti, now is the mayors office and just near the castle,and another beauty inside just climb the stairs upon entering it.
It was official the hotel de ville at the avenue de Paris on November 18 , 1900,
off ave de Sceaux near the castle is the rue Satory, in the district of Satory, very old on your way to the cathedral of st Louis
- Pros:wonderful, royal ,imposing,history, the one to be in France
- Cons:none known
- In a nutshell:A city worth a kingdom or country
This is now a farm, with a huge garden, and small petting animal farm, as well as a gardeners store with local products... more travel advice
yes the ecuries or stables are many in Versailles been the royal seat of France for many many years, there are all over,... more travel advice
- See All Cinema in Versailles
- See All Musee lambinet, the city museum
- See All beef in Versailles
- sound advise is always better
- See All splendor class near castle Pullman
gwened's Related Pages
Versailles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grandeur Beyound Words"
- "ON THE STEPS OF MARIE-ANTOINETTE."
- "Moscow - Versailles"
- "When Kings lived in Versailles"
- "The Chateau de Versailles"
- "I can see why they chopped off their heads!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Versailles
- Hotels in Versailles
- Transportation in Versailles
- Nightlife in Versailles
- Restaurants in Versailles
- Shopping in Versailles
- Warnings and Dangers in Versailles
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Versailles
- 75 Reviews
- 277 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Versailles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Versailles
Photos in VersaillesSee All Photos (277)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 215 reviews, 479 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes Intro, 112 reviews, 317 photos, 4 travelogues
- Auray Intro, 97 reviews, 317 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bretagne Intro, 104 reviews, 289 photos, 5 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 75 reviews, 277 photos, 8 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 76 reviews, 270 photos, 5 travelogues
- France Intro, 192 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 72 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Quiberon Intro, 48 reviews, 154 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nantes Intro, 41 reviews, 119 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (64)
Latest Versailles hotel reviews
- Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
- 546 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Pullman Versailles Chateau Paris
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Ibis Paris Versailles Chateau
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Le Cheval Rouge
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013