"Didymoteicho, the Byzantine town" Dhidhimotikhon by bakalapoe
Dhidhimotikhon Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 96 photos
In medieval times, known as “Demotika”, it was an important market town and one of the finest hunting places for emperors and later sultans. It was well fortified by the Byzantines and after their reconquest of Constantinople in 1261, it became the most important city in Thrace and Byzantine Macedonia. The city was also the birthplace of emperors John III Vatatzes and John V Palaiologos. In 1361, and after several years of siege, the Ottomans succeeded in conquering the city. Unlike the neighbouring Adrianople which was burnt to the ground, they kept the town intact and made it the capital of the Ottoman Empire for a short time. It was then that they build the great mosque and the baths of the town, both of which were the first of their kind in the European continent. Under Turkish rule the town was known as Dimetoka or Demotika. The Ottoman sultan Bayezid II was born there. After the Battle of Poltava, the exiled King Charles XII of Sweden lived in the town (1713–1714).
bakalapoe's Related Pages
Dhidhimotikhon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Didimoticho blues..."
- "Didymoteicho, the Byzantine town"
- "Didymoticho - Prefecture of Evros"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dhidhimotikhon
- 4 Reviews
- 76 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Dhidhimotikhon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dhidhimotikhon
Photos in DhidhimotikhonSee All Photos (76)
Videos in DhidhimotikhonSee All Videos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Thessaloniki Intro, 14 reviews, 215 photos, 19 travelogues
- Serrai Intro, 19 reviews, 154 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edirne Intro, 9 reviews, 134 photos, 11 travelogues
- Prefecture of Evros Intro, 6 reviews, 132 photos, 13 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 3 reviews, 97 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Xanthi Intro, 7 reviews, 87 photos, 7 travelogues
- Dhidhimotikhon Intro, 4 reviews, 76 photos, 9 travelogues
- Komotini Intro, 7 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prefecture of Sérrai Intro, 8 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Xanthi Intro, 3 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues