"Prefecture of Evros" Prefecture of Evros by bakalapoe
Prefecture of Evros Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 433 photos
Following the violent uprooting of Greek populations in Thrace, the urban centres experienced a demographic wipe out and ethnological distortion and, as a result, Thrace was administratively integrated in the Roumeli district. During the 17th -18th century the area attracts Greek populations who located there and cities in Thrace thrive both demographically and financially. Greek merchants from Thrace travel to Russia, Egypt and the Black Sea countries. Furthermore, the first Greek schools are established. The cultural and ethnological renaissance of the Greeks of Thrace begins in early 19th century. During the Greek Revolution of 1821, people of Thrace took part in Alexandros Ipsilantis’ Sacred Band campaign. In the middle of the 19th century, the Greek-Bulgarian dispute over religion matters that later extend to education matters starts. The Bulgarians take over Greek churches and schools in Thrace. Following a coup d’état in 1885, northern Thrace is being permanently integrated in the Bulgarian state. A series of ruthless persecutions as well as anti-Greek movements emerge and extend up to 1906. Greeks are being persecuted during the 2nd Balkan and the 1st World War. The Neuilly-sur-Seine Treaty is signed in November 1919 according to which Bulgaria and Greece sign a contract agreeing to a voluntary mutual population exchange.In 1908 Muslim immigrants are relocated from Bosnia to Thrace. Later, in 1913 Thrace is divided again, while the western part is allocated to Bulgaria and the eastern remains under Turkish occupation. During 1920-1924 the Sevres Treaty (August 1920) transfers both eastern and western Thrace to Greece. Thrace is now under Greek administration and divided in 6 regions. A whole reorganization of political, financial, legal and sanitation services takes place. In 1923 the Lausanne Treaty is signed. However, the Bulgarian occupation is only around the corner for the biggest part of Thrace and it comes along with the 2nd World War. At about 350.000 people live in Thrace today, 70% of whom are Greek Orthodox and 30% are Muslims. Most of the latter reside in the Rodopi and Xanthi Prefectures.
Every year in the Eve of Epiphany (5th of Jan.) the icon of Virgin Mary from the Monastery of Dadia is transfered by... more travel advice
On 8th of September the church of Nativity of Mother of Our Lord has its name day, so a folk festival is organized at... more travel advice
bakalapoe's Related Pages
Prefecture of Evros Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "At the point where East meets West..."
- "Prefecture of Evros"
- "North Evros area"
- "Evros prefecture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prefecture of Evros
- Hotels in Prefecture of Evros
- Transportation in Prefecture of Evros
- Nightlife in Prefecture of Evros
- Restaurants in Prefecture of Evros
- Shopping in Prefecture of Evros
- Warnings and Dangers in Prefecture of Evros
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ormond Beach
- Fort Pierce Inlet State Recreation Area Hotels
- Maizuru Hotels
- Waiheke Island
- Province of Nueva Vizcaya
- Wakenaam Island Hotels
- Playa de Aro
- Haarlem Hotels
- Land Baden-Württemberg
- Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area Hotels
- Kurihama Hotels
- Boothbay Harbor
Badges & Stats in Prefecture of Evros
- 7 Reviews
- 190 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Prefecture of Evros?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prefecture of Evros
Photos in Prefecture of EvrosSee All Photos (190)
Videos in Prefecture of EvrosSee All Videos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Thessaloniki Intro, 14 reviews, 215 photos, 19 travelogues
- Serrai Intro, 19 reviews, 154 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edirne Intro, 9 reviews, 134 photos, 11 travelogues
- Prefecture of Evros Intro, 6 reviews, 132 photos, 13 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 3 reviews, 97 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Xanthi Intro, 7 reviews, 87 photos, 7 travelogues
- Dhidhimotikhon Intro, 4 reviews, 76 photos, 9 travelogues
- Komotini Intro, 7 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prefecture of Sérrai Intro, 8 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Xanthi Intro, 3 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues