"Bar girl scam" Angeles by twinbrother

Angeles Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 19 photos

Gecko Bar and Tourist Police

This is a little adventure that happened to me a few days ago . I suspect that I am not the first victim of such a scam and would be interested in getting feedbacks from those who have been taken in a similar manner.
I book a bar girl around 4 pm from the Gecko bar in Fields avenue (paid "bar fine", i.e . the fee for an overnight booking ) and take her back to my hotel. She orders an expensive meal (she must be hungry, never mind..) . Two hours later she asks to leave . I am not overjoyed by this decision and accordingly do not tip her .
At about 9 pm I am called to the reception of the hotel : the girl is there with 4 police officers and I am been accused of brutality and having insulted the philippino police (!).
At the police station I find that she has a friend , an older woman, advising her . Her testimony is full of inconsistencies, not to speak of downright lies - description of the physical abuses I subjected her to , claim that she had given my money back , claim that I had told her '*** the police' (nice touch I must admit) . I am thinking, naively, they can't possibly believe her .. They do . At least they pretend to. I am given the choice : obtain her forgiveness (sic) or the lock up with appearance before a judge some times in the future.
I get the message . What is the cost of her "forgiveness" ? 5,000 pesos. I know enough of the Philippines to understand that the police is on the take . Ok . I pay and think its over. No . After talking with her "advisor" she changes her mind, and insists on pressing charges . I am locked up in a small cell with 8 other people sprawling over the floor. It is my fault , I did not show enough "remorse" . This is seriously getting out hand.
I call a friend who is a resident here . He arrives shortly after and enters negotiations with the police . The price has gone up to 50,000 pesos . He calls a lawyer of his acquaintance in Manila . The girl and the police understand they have gone too far . The price comes down to 10,000 .

Still cheaper than a lawyer's fee . . .

• Last visit to Angeles: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated Sep 8, 2011

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Angeles

Have you been to Angeles?

Latest Activity in Angeles