"Agrigento -little Marocco with lots of Italy" Top 5 Page for this destination Agrigento by vysnaite

Agrigento Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 296 photos

Ancient Akragas

At the moment that I'm writing this I'm in Agrigento for the second time of my life. I've been here three months ago, and now I'm here for another two weeks. Despite my long stays in Italy, mostly on the continental part, Sicily is quite a new discovery to me and Agrigento remains quite of a mystery, I do not talk about architecture or nature here, but about people and their mentality. Agrigento was founded in 581 A.C. , dominated by many different nations, from Greek, to Romans, and Arabs.

It would be great to say "yes, I've got an impression how sicilians or agrigentini are", but it's far away from the truth. I've always wondered how people staying in one place for a week or a few days say "oh, these people are sooo nice/sooo strange/sooooo bad" etc. I'm not staying in a hotel, but at my friends so I live with locals and sicilians still remain kind of a puzzle to me. Thought, I'd have to admit it's a nice puzzle!

Leaving apart those reflexive thoughts I'll try to put on some information on this page about the town, nature, architecture and my own impressions. IT's really a place worth a visit and not only for its ancient greek temples.

Agrigento is also a birth city of Pirandello and phylosopher Empedocle.

• Pros:nice, hot, sunny, close to the sea
  • Cons:chaotic
  • In a nutshell:little Marocco with lots of Italy
  • Last visit to Agrigento: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 15, 2005

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Hi having a read in case I choose Sicily for a visit next month!nice pictures and reflections of your times in Sicily.

• mekonos's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2008 at 7:09 AM

eh. ehah.....farmers use to burn fields to clean it up to.to fertilize it....remeber The island became known as the granary of Rome....have fun in sicily friend....ciao.....

• Backpackermoose's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2007 at 4:26 PM

I love your way of writing tips: personalized, more like telling a story. Very different from many other pages I have read :-)

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2005 at 6:58 AM

Those nightime pics of the Old Town are great! Top tips too! Happy travels, Blu

• dorset's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2005 at 10:16 AM

ma sei di agrigento città...o vivi all'estero ma hai origini agrigentine...ciao

vysnaite

“Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open :o)”

Badges & Stats in Agrigento

Have you been to Agrigento?

Latest Activity in Agrigento