"A winter mountaineering course January 2011" Cairngorm Mountains by roaming-mosh
Cairngorm Mountains Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 5 photos
I went to Aviemore, in the heart of the Scottish Highlands. The National Park of the Cairngorms mountains is a great place to try out winter mountaineering. Beware though, it might be in Scotland but in January-February it might as well be in north Norway !! The Cairngorms are actually classed as 'Sub Arctic region, which means in mid winter the winds and snow can easily make it a death trap to the ill informed walker/climber.
If the temp at Aviemore is 0 it might be -15 out in the open, 1500 higher.
I climbed with Sandy Paterson (MIC) on a 1:1 basis and we managed in a tight two days to climb a Scottish grade II climb which was a lot tougher than we anticipated, due to very limited visibility (the infamous 'white out') and very strong winds.
- Pros:Close to the 'action'
- Cons:No alpine vistas or conditions. very wet at times.
- In a nutshell:Harsh environment, friendly Aviemore, no need to fly :-)
roaming-mosh's Related Pages
Cairngorm Mountains Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A winter mountaineering course January 2011"
- Create a Cairngorm Mountains Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Cairngorm Mountains
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Cairngorm Mountains?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairngorm Mountains
Photos in Cairngorm MountainsSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Tanzania Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Machu Picchu Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Tambopata Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Chicago 1 review, 5 photos
- Cairngorm Mountains Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Imlil Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Nepal Intro, 3 photos
- Peru Intro, 1 photo
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur 1 review
- Marrakesh Intro, 1 photo