"I live here. So I'm biased." Paola by Marbeque

Paola Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 3 photos

5 things you need to know about Paola

I live here. So I'm biased. I can't say that Paola has had a particularly exciting past, or present, but I do think it has a acquired it's own brand of charm that would be lovely to visit on a nice fall/spring/summer evening.

1. The Park Square - The actual park area gets lovelier each year, however the shops surrounding that area, well like I said I'm biased. Several years ago you could have visited our soda fountain, had dinner at an amazing Mexican restaurant, or looked around a wonderful shop owned by a lady named Gail. Se la vie, those places have gone, or have gone kaput. However you can still enjoy a free show in the gazebo Friday/Saturday night.

2. History - Did you know that Paola was home to the first American mixed race regiment? No you didnt, and neither did I, only the good people at Swann River Museum knew that, and I highly suggest you visit it. Monument/memorial wise there's a Civil Monument on the square, a WWII memorial near the middle school, and Native American settlement marker on the edge of town.

3. El Tapatio, was formerly amazing Mexican restaurant on the square, and is now that amazing Mexican restaurant just off the square. It's been a local favorite for years and years. It's family owned, and just a very happy place to be. Don't get confused either, over the last year two knew Mexican restaurants which I'm sure are pretty good too have popped up, but you want El Tapatio. And guacamole, you definitely want their guacamole.

4. Festivals - Every Saurday morning from Spring to Fall there's a farmer's market on the square. The produce is great, but mostly I go there to buy baked goods. During the last week in July is the parade and carnival. But more importantly during the last full weekend in August is the Roots Fest, which features live jazz/country/whathaveyou and Eastern Kansas BBQ Championship, and seems to get larger and larger every year.

5. The Paola Cultural Center - If none of the above festivals or markets are still going on I'd check to see what's going on here, sometimes they're showing old movies in the very well preserved theater, and sometimes there's an Irish tap dancing recital, who knows really.

• Intro Written Aug 18, 2011

Comments

Marbeque Lives Here!

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.