"Prykarpattya" Top 5 Page for this destination Ivano-Frankivs'k by Pomocub

Ivano-Frankivs'k Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 74 photos

My reason for visiting Ivano-Frankivsk

Ivano-Frankivsk is the home of the Carpathian Mountains and the home of my ancestors. My first visit was in May 2012 to meet an Aunt that I had managed to track down after over 40 years of no contact after my Grandfather died. During my time in Ivano-Frankivsk my time has mainly been spent in a village in Sniatynsky Oblast, around the area of Kosiv and also in the city of Ivano-Frankivsk itself. It was fantastic seeing my ancestral homeland and hearing the ancestral language of Ukrainian which I am currently studying. I plan to visit my family in Ivano-Frankivsk as much as I can and learn more about the family history and the area of Prykarpattya.

As well as being the gate way to the Carpathian Mountains Ivano-Frankivsk also has a beautiful and charming city centre, if I could describe it in a sentance I would say it is a quieter L'viv with equal beauty. As the centre of Ivano-Frankivsk is quite small I would recommend travelling there for many one or two days because the city centre itself doesn't have a lot going on but the province of Ivano-Frankivsk is very beautiful and you must definately travel to the Carpathian Mountains.

Some small towns that are very charming and worth a visit are:

Kosiv

Kolomiya

Prykarpattya

Ivano-Frankivsk is named after the Ukrainian writer/poet Ivan Franko, before this the city was named Stanislaviv and was part of the Ukrainian SSR. Due to the name of the city being quite long the region is called other names such as Prykarpattya, Frankivsk or Franyk. The area was also part of the Galicia which I will talk more about shortly.

The name Prykarpattya is roughly translated to Pre- Carpathia, Ivano-Frankivsk province is at the foothills of the Carpathian Mountains although you will need to drive away from I-Frankivsk city in order to see the mountains and countryside.

Carpathian Mountains and The Hultsuls

Ivano-Frankivsk is known by many to be the gateway to the Carpathian Mountains and home to the Hutsuls. The Hutsuls are a cultural group of Ukrainian highlanders who live in the Carpathian mountains across the areas of Ukraine and northern Romania.

It is thought that the Hutsul language is a soon to be extinct dialect of Ukrainian with Polish and Romanian influences.

Every summer in Sheshory village (see hotel tips for Sheshory) there is an international festival of Hutsul folk music and art. I haven't actually been to this festival but I have seen clips on some websites and there are concerts, craft stalls and seems to be a great family festival.

In 2005 one of my favourite Ukrainian singers Ruslana Lyzhichko (who is from L'viv) won the Eurovision contest with a song called Wild Dances. In the song Ruslana used a traditional Ukrainian horn type instrument called the Trembita and dressed in Hutsul style clothing. If you watch Ruslana's music video for "Znayu ya" or "I Know" as it is in English you will see Ruslana exploring the mysterious Carpathian Mountains and the Hutsuls.

• Pros:Beautiful scenary, kind, generous people
  • Cons:So much to experience, so little time
  • In a nutshell:The home of my ancestors.
  • Last visit to Ivano-Frankivs'k: Sep 2012
  • Intro Updated Feb 22, 2013

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2014 at 2:38 PM

прекрасні гори

• Pomocub's Profile Photo
      Feb 14, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Znayemo is we know. I get used to it a little bit and there are also words that don't always follow the pattern.

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
      Feb 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Oh okay.
      Exactly. That's where it gets confusing.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Hello, Ashleigh! I'm glad you were able to visit the land of your forefathers....Good for you! Thanks for your travel stories!

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Would like to visit the city, maybe next time-visit for Lviv and Ivano-Frankovsk :-)

• mickeyboy07's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Beautiful photos and tips

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2012 at 3:39 AM

What a charming looking place! Thanks for visiting my Paris page. It's such a wonderful place that makes you want to return as soon as you leave!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Haven't been to that area of Ukraine yet but I have seen a documentary on TV about the Hutsul people and their traditional wedding ceremony. Actually I watched Ruslana win the Eurovision in a hotel in Odessa and on the same trip I saw her performing the song on a stage at the Kiev Day festival - just loved it!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Great updates on your Ivano-Frankivsk page. Unfortunately we missed this city on our trips in the Ukraine. Especially the hotel seems to be well worth a stay. I am looking forward to reading more about your adevntures in the Ukraine.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Hi, fellow traveler!~ Thanks for letting us know about that gem in the Carpathians....

Pomocub Visits Here Frequently!

Pomocub

“For each dream trip you share, a new journey begins…”

Badges & Stats in Ivano-Frankivs'k

Have you been to Ivano-Frankivs'k?

Latest Activity in Ivano-Frankivs'k