"Prykarpattya" Top 5 Page for this destination Ivano-Frankivs'k by Pomocub
Ivano-Frankivs'k Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 74 photos
Ivano-Frankivsk is the home of the Carpathian Mountains and the home of my ancestors. My first visit was in May 2012 to meet an Aunt that I had managed to track down after over 40 years of no contact after my Grandfather died. During my time in Ivano-Frankivsk my time has mainly been spent in a village in Sniatynsky Oblast, around the area of Kosiv and also in the city of Ivano-Frankivsk itself. It was fantastic seeing my ancestral homeland and hearing the ancestral language of Ukrainian which I am currently studying. I plan to visit my family in Ivano-Frankivsk as much as I can and learn more about the family history and the area of Prykarpattya.
As well as being the gate way to the Carpathian Mountains Ivano-Frankivsk also has a beautiful and charming city centre, if I could describe it in a sentance I would say it is a quieter L'viv with equal beauty. As the centre of Ivano-Frankivsk is quite small I would recommend travelling there for many one or two days because the city centre itself doesn't have a lot going on but the province of Ivano-Frankivsk is very beautiful and you must definately travel to the Carpathian Mountains.
Some small towns that are very charming and worth a visit are:
Ivano-Frankivsk is named after the Ukrainian writer/poet Ivan Franko, before this the city was named Stanislaviv and was part of the Ukrainian SSR. Due to the name of the city being quite long the region is called other names such as Prykarpattya, Frankivsk or Franyk. The area was also part of the Galicia which I will talk more about shortly.
The name Prykarpattya is roughly translated to Pre- Carpathia, Ivano-Frankivsk province is at the foothills of the Carpathian Mountains although you will need to drive away from I-Frankivsk city in order to see the mountains and countryside.
Ivano-Frankivsk is known by many to be the gateway to the Carpathian Mountains and home to the Hutsuls. The Hutsuls are a cultural group of Ukrainian highlanders who live in the Carpathian mountains across the areas of Ukraine and northern Romania.
It is thought that the Hutsul language is a soon to be extinct dialect of Ukrainian with Polish and Romanian influences.
Every summer in Sheshory village (see hotel tips for Sheshory) there is an international festival of Hutsul folk music and art. I haven't actually been to this festival but I have seen clips on some websites and there are concerts, craft stalls and seems to be a great family festival.
In 2005 one of my favourite Ukrainian singers Ruslana Lyzhichko (who is from L'viv) won the Eurovision contest with a song called Wild Dances. In the song Ruslana used a traditional Ukrainian horn type instrument called the Trembita and dressed in Hutsul style clothing. If you watch Ruslana's music video for "Znayu ya" or "I Know" as it is in English you will see Ruslana exploring the mysterious Carpathian Mountains and the Hutsuls.
- Pros:Beautiful scenary, kind, generous people
- Cons:So much to experience, so little time
- In a nutshell:The home of my ancestors.
Like most Ukrainian cities Ivano-Frankivsk also has an Independence Street/ Nazalezhnosti Vulystya which is the main... more travel advice
Ivano-Frankivsk airport is located just 3 miles from the city centre. The airport is extremely small with one run way... more travel advice
Written Jul 23, 2012
Notable people from Ivano-Frankivsk
Written Dec 11, 2012
My Ukrainian family
Pomocub's Related Pages
Ivano-Frankivs'k Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City of Ivan Franko"
- "A City in the Shadow of L'viv"
- "Favorite Ukrainian City"
- "Internship in Ukraine"
- "Folklore festival in Sheshory"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Hotels in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Transportation in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Nightlife in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Restaurants in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Warnings and Dangers in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- 20 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Ivano-Frankivs'k?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Posted in Travel Kiev Forum "Re: Boryspil to central train..."
- Commented on one of Pomocub's Ivano-Frankivs'k travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Central Hotel in Ivano-Frankivsk"
- Wrote a Review Taxi from Centre to Airport in Ivano-Frankivs'k Transportation
- updated a Ivano-Frankivs'k Travel Page "Prykarpattya"
- Uploaded a Video to Ivano-Frankivs'k
Photos in Ivano-Frankivs'kSee All Photos (49)
Videos in Ivano-Frankivs'kSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Kiev Intro, 42 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ivano-Frankivs'k Intro, 20 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ukraine Intro, 28 reviews, 39 photos
- Manchester Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lviv Intro, 13 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolomyya Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rochdale Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Antwerp Intro, 5 reviews, 17 photos
- Prague Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos