"The capital of beer, coffee and chocolate" Lviv by Pomocub
Lviv Travel Guide: 760 reviews and 2,462 photos
L'viv (also called L'vov) is a major city and considered the capital of Western Ukraine. L'viv is sometimes referred to "Little Paris" or "The new Prague" due to it's old architecture.
Underneath the main street of L'viv runs the River Poltava. Unfortuantely you are not able to go underground to see this. Despite this the city of L'viv has water shortages and at certain times throughout the day you will be unable to draw water from a tap.
L'viv is known as the capital of Ukrainian art and culture and has many art galleries, museums and has the famous L'viv opera house where many famous Ukrainian singers have performed. L'viv is also known as the capital of beer, coffee and chocolate - What more could you want?
Ruslana Lyzhichko is a famous singer who was born and raised in L'viv. Ruslana has been in the music industry since the early 1990's but came to prominence following her victory at the 2004 Eurovision Song Contest in Istanbul with the song "Wild Dances". The song "Wild Dances" was inspiredby the Carpathian Mountains and the Hutsuls who are an ancient tribe of Western Ukraine. The song features the ancient instrument of the Trembita and modern ethnic dance beats.
Today Ruslana is still a well known artist and is continuing to release albums. She is a Good Will Ambassedor for UNICEF and has been heavily involved in highlighting Human Trafficking.
Ruslana has been one of my favourite Ukrainian singers for a long time, I was lucky enough to meet her in a city called Bolton in England during her winners tour following the Eurovision Song Contest.
My trip to L'viv was very brief. I landed in L'viv airport at around 21:30 in the evening and taken to the Euro Hotel where I had reservations. The following morning after breakfast I embarked on a 5/6 hour drive to Ivano-Frankivsk stopping for lunch somewhere between the two cities. After 4 days in Ivano-Frankivsk I took the drive back to L'viv and spent the evening and just one night in George Hotel, I explored the city the following day before boarding the night train to Kyiv where I stayed for 2 nights. Needless to say I was exhausted when I landed back in England!
Although my visit was brief I managed to take in the main sights of the city.
- Pros:Beautiful old city, Delicious chocolate and coffee
- In a nutshell:Traditional Old Town in Western Ukraine
Kryyivka is a "secret" themed restaurant located on Rynok Square in L'viv. The restaurant is themed as an old army... more travel advice
The Solomiya Krushelnytska Lviv State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre is located on Svobody Avenue in central L'viv.... more travel advice
Pomocub's Related Pages
Lviv Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Gateway to the West"
- "Lviv - The princely city of Western Ukraine"
- "Lviv - mix of Western look and Eastern behaviour"
- "City of Lions and Open Hearts"
- "Lviv - the city of the East and the West"
- "Lwow (Lviv) City of Lion and Dreams"
- "VAs in Lviv 2010"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lviv
- Hotels in Lviv
- Transportation in Lviv
- Nightlife in Lviv
- Restaurants in Lviv
- Shopping in Lviv
- Warnings and Dangers in Lviv
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lviv
- 13 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Lviv?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lviv
- Posted in Travel Chernivtsi Forum "Re: Transport from Chernivtsi"
- Commented on one of Ekaterinburg's Lviv travel pages
- updated a Lviv Travel Page "The capital of beer, coffee and chocolate"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The capital of beer, coffee and chocolate"
- Wrote a Review The not so secret restaurant in Lviv Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Kiev Intro, 42 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ivano-Frankivs'k Intro, 19 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 26 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lviv Intro, 13 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolomyya Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ukraine Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Rochdale Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Prague Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Dublin Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (14)
Latest Lviv hotel reviews
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- Citadel Inn
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 18, 2013
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- The Kosmonaut Hostel
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2013
- Grand Hotel Lviv
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- Hotel Leopolis Lviv
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Lion's Castle Hotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2012