"My Debrecen months" Top 5 Page for this destination Debrecen by Kovrchica

Debrecen Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 151 photos

My Debrecen days

I was really lucky to have an opportunity to spend a three beautiful months in this gorgeous city. During this summer months, whole city was hided under the shadow of a large trees. It seems like a whole city was settled in one large park. Flowers where on every corner of the street and gave to the city magical colours. Since the city lies in the plain, it is suitable for a bicycle ride, and there is a lots of bicycle tracks. Also, there is no need for a public transportation because man can go for a long walk and visit mayor sites in the city. If you love to visit former cities of Austro-Hungary, you should visit this one. Squares and parks are very beautiful. There are a lot of things to see, hear and feel. Most of the old buildings are in baroque style with characteristic architecture of former Austro-Hungarian monarchy. Man can easily recognize the areas with buildings from communism time. Although, they are not so gorgeous like the ones from the monarchy but they are very well kept, clean and decent. Those kind of buildings are surrounded with green surfaces, flowers and small parks who are favourite place for families with a small children and elders to spend some time under the shade of the trees, chat, play, ride a bike, do some chess or just enjoying a day. I really like that.

What to see ..

There are so many things to see at Debrecen. Usually, people are writing about the Calvinist church and the main square - Koshut ter. I mean, they are really beautiful, but my number one is: Nagyetem - university building which takes a breath away. And the Deri museum building and the Deri Park in front of the museum are really piece of art for the ones who loves a baroque style.
Beside my favourite sites, you should see millennium fountain at the main square, Foiskola at the Peterfi street, Forrest with the small lakes in the near of the university building. And my favourites small typical Hungarian streets with the "old" family houses. From the main square goes Piatc street which is full with interesting and beautiful buildings.

Just for fun

There are lots of small shops in the centre of the city, in Piatc street where man can buy a souvenir's. Also, the street is full with the coffee bars and restaurants. But I must give a little observation. I simply could not find any Hungarian restaurant. I mean, restaurant with a typical Hungarian food. I mean, everyone who comes to Hungary want' to eat a spicy food with hot paprika, goulash and soups, don't you think so? I don't want to go to Hungary and eat a Italian food. Personally, I don't like a globalization thing. There are few shopping centres in Debrecen. I can recommend a Debrecen Forum. This is large, modern centre that gives a lot for fun, shopping, drinking coffee or eat at few restaurants. Every once in a while, there are some kind of festival, carnival and classical music concerts in park. Love that ...

• Pros:History, architecture, art, food, wine
  • Cons:Language
  • In a nutshell:I will never forget my Debrecen's days
  • Last visit to Debrecen: Aug 2011
  • Intro Written Aug 5, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2011 at 6:10 AM

I enjoyed reading your enthusiastic and informative tips on Debrecen. Welcome to VirtualTourist and thanks for your nice comment on my Lyon page.

Badges & Stats in Debrecen

Have you been to Debrecen?

Latest Activity in Debrecen