"The biggest city in the world..." Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City by Laura_Mexico

Mexico City Travel Guide: 2,165 reviews and 4,484 photos

Viva Mexico!!!

Hello everyone!! I am Mexican and live here, in my country's capital: Mexico City.

During my first weeks as a VT member I built a couple of pages after a trip to Italy (and I've built many more ever since!), but then I thought I should post something about my own town as well, because, who can know a town better but people who actually live in it??? I got to know Rome very well during the month I lived there, and tried to build the best site I could, but I've lived in Mexico City for MANY years so I think I should be able to tell our visitors a few things about my own home town and describe it better than I described Rome, right? At least I've been doing my best, and I hope I can be of some help for those who are planning to come here!

I hope you guys enjoy your trip if you come to Mexico City! I want to mention that I borrowed some of the pictures I am using on this page from some web sites; I didn't use to have many pics taken by myself (shame on me, I know) but now I've got a lot more and I've been able to gradually get rid of some of those borrowed pictures. Still, I definitely need to give credit to those people who actually took those pictures. The sites where I found them are:

www.mexicocity.gob.mx/sp/galeria/index.asp (by Michel Zabe + Michael Calderwood)

www.worldexecutive.com/cityguides/mexico_city/index.html

gomexico.about.com/travel/gomexico/ (by Jody Miller)

www.mundolatino.com/mexico (by Javier Ruiz)

studentweb.tulane.edu/~dhixson/teo/teo.html

www.metropla.net/am/mexico.htm

www.cocinamexicana.com.mx

www.ciudadmexico.com.mx

www.cnca.gob.mx

Thank you for those lovely pics! Hope you don't mind me using your pictures, they are really great and they're for information purposes only, I ain't making any money with this site :) Just want to show others what a nice town Mexico City is! In many of these links you can also find some useful info about Mexico City.

So, some of the pictures you will find on this page and on my other travel pages & travelogues were not taken by me -- sometimes it was even a friend or another VTer who took them... Whenever it was me who did it's indicated with a little Copyright note on the lower right corner of the picture, like the picture you're looking at above this text.... I can proudly say I took that one myself!!! In this picture you can see the Zocalo (our main square in downtown, one of the largest squares in the world), some of the beautiful old buildings there are around it, 20 de noviembre Avenue in the back and Mexico's flag in the middle.... it was about to be brought down by some soldiers as it does every afternoon at 6 PM sharp. This picture was taken from the roof top of the Cathedral!

I hope you all enjoy this page!

• Pros:Nice buildings, lots of history, culture and activities for all tastes
  • Cons:Too big & crowded, big traffic jams, pollution, dangerous
  • In a nutshell:Be cautious, but COME AND VISIT! You'll enjoy it more than you can imagine!
  • Intro Updated Dec 30, 2011

• diana_renou's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Hola Laura!! soy Diana desde Argentina y quería preguntarte como ves a una mujer sola (muy viajera jaja...soy yo..)viajando Mexico el año próximo? que mes me aconsejas para ver ciudades coloniales..Mexico City y la parte Yucatán y San Miguel de las Casas y las ruinas cercanas. Dispongo de entre 23 y 25 dias..será suficiente o estoy abarcando mucho? Si puedes contestarme te agradezco muchísimo. Un gran saludo desde Buenos Aires!!

• melosh's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I made the mistake today of reading the restaurant recommendations of your #1 ranked Mexico City page. Even though I had just eaten, my mouth started to water and I felt a heavy regret that it has been so long since my last visit to the DF. Maybe next year I will bring a group of teachers from my wife's school. The destination will be Cordoba, Ver. but I will have to include a stop in Mexico City.

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Love to visit Mexico City some day! Great tips! Greetings from Leeds, UK! Dawnx

• FridgeMagnet's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2011 at 9:08 AM

I will definitely visit Gran Hotel Ciudad de México when I visit. Thanks!

• giampiero6's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2011 at 4:44 PM

This is such a good page and it really sparkles in the new layout. So much to see here that I hadn't noticed!

• Mr.Sparkle's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Some great food tips... i like the traditional Mexican places... not the places for tourist.

• diageva's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Ya encontré nuestro Meeting... que divertido ver las fotos... gracias.... Me encantó quedar con vosotras... espero que pronto me devolváis la visita..

• ccruz1's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2010 at 3:09 AM

OMG luara are you kidding me! F ing A!!!!!! Im glad you guys just left!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Hola Laura, Wow... excellent tips of Mexico City. Cheers, SL :)

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2009 at 1:16 PM

HEY, great pics! looks like a good time! maybe I can make it next time.

Laura_Mexico

“Men suck BIG TIME... But TRAVELLING IS THE BEST! :)”

Badges & Stats in Mexico City

Have you been to Mexico City?

Latest Activity in Mexico City