"A home base close to the Monarch Butterflies..." Angangueo by Laura_Mexico

Angangueo Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 42 photos

A journey which started in Morelia........

I'm a nature lover and I had heard from acquaintances and seen on TV what a marvelous spectacle the arrival & stay of the Monarch butterflies in Mexico was...... but I hadn't really made the effort to actually go to the place that hosts them and see it for myself.

This time I informed myself thoroughly in order to visit the butterflies' sanctuaries, and even asked about a tour that the hotel where I stayed at was advertising, but it was a whole day long and the price was a bit high (or so I thought, although I later discovered it wasn't really so), so my man and I decided not to hire it and go there by ourselves. The last day of our vacation, we left Morelia and took a different road that led us to this place before coming back to Mexico City, and everything was going cool until the car started heating up and we had to pull over and stop the car for a while......

An accidental discovery

..... After an hour or so, we were able to start and move the car again, and we were only 8-10 KM. away from Angangueo, the closest town... It started raining too and by the time we reached the village and stopped at a small hotel to have a coffee it was pouring rain and they told us it was already too late to go uphill to see the butterflies...... so we had come all the way here for nothing and then the car was broken and wouldn't make it till Mexico City....! To top it all, there were no vacant rooms at this hotel, which seemed to be the best in town (there was another good one but considerably more expensive). Fortunately, there were several other hotels and guesthouses, and one of the employees at the one we visited recommended us another place where we could stay till the morning after and which most probably would have vacancies. So we went to this place and the lady who runs it was very kind, gave us a big room with a discount and even helped us find a mechanic that could fix our car. And this is how the day after, finally, we got to visit the Monarch butterflies' sanctuary, which is a natural marvel and something very worth the visit, although it's quite an adventure to make it all the way up here!

• Pros:It's a good departing point to go see the Monarch Butterfly Sanctuaries!
  • Cons:Too small and not much to see/do here; lodging is rather expensive or, in case it's not, it's rather modest and not too fancy or comfortable.
  • Last visit to Angangueo: Feb 2009
  • Intro Updated Aug 12, 2009

Comments

Laura_Mexico

“Men suck BIG TIME... But TRAVELLING IS THE BEST! :)”

Badges & Stats in Angangueo

Have you been to Angangueo?