"A beautiful & quiet colonial town..." Top 5 Page for this destination Morelia by Laura_Mexico
Morelia Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 131 photos
Many many years ago, when Morelia wasn't the town it is today and did not have the million inhabitants it does now, my parents fell in love with it and started visiting it very often (once or twice a year). Back then, you had to drive about 5-6 hours from Mexico City to the town of Morelia, passing by a lot of tiny rural towns and driving on a rather poor quality road.
I have visited & known Morelia since I can remember. I was a little girl when we started travelling there almost every vacation period my family had available. My parents bought a piece of land where they planned to build a nice house and live in this peaceful place one day, after they retired...
None of us ever moved to Morelia, but we continued visiting it frequently until the late 90's or so. When I was a kid I didn't fully appreciate it because, being a child, I felt there weren't many things to do or see, not many places to have fun at, and after 10-20 visits we had rather seen EVERYTHING there was to see. In fact, there aren't many interesting places for kids there, but once you learn to appreciate the city for itself, you realize it's one of the most beautiful towns there are in the entire country. Besides, now we have a highway which cut the 5-6 hour drive down to only 3.5-4 hours at most, and which does not force you to pass by those little rural towns anymore (even though they're pittoresque and you might want to see them if you like that kind of travel). Whether you travel by bus or on your own car, it's now much more comfortable and fast to get to Morelia than it was 10-15 years ago.
Once again I'm borrowing a few pictures from a couple of local websites, which you can also visit and where you will find plenty of tourist info about this gorgeous place!!! The rest of the pictures were taken either by myself or my dad.
I will try to gradually include all the tips I gathered through all those years and I hope you do get the chance to visit this beautiful town, you'll definitely want to go back...!!!! Please be patient, I will build this page slowly, but will try to make a good job! ;-)
- Pros:Beautiful, rather small, quiet, lots of local handcrafts, food & candy to buy! Nice weather in general, too.
- Cons:Traffic is getting a bit chaotic as there's no place left for big avenues to be built, so moving around the city is turning a bit complicated...
This church isn't located in the downtown area so it's easy to miss it, but if you join a guided tour they will most... more travel advice
- See All AWFUL treatment to the customers...!!
- See All Taxis
- See All Better than QUALITEL, but still...
Laura_Mexico's Related Pages
Morelia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A beautiful & quiet colonial town..."
- "Morelia - a beautiful UNESCO city"
- "Morelia, February 2004"
- "Morelia - La Preciosa"
- "Capital of Michoacan."
- "orchids city,keeping the look of ancient times..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Morelia
- Hotels in Morelia
- Transportation in Morelia
- Nightlife in Morelia
- Restaurants in Morelia
- Shopping in Morelia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Morelia
- 35 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Morelia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Morelia
- Posted in Travel Mexico City Forum "Re: Advice request"
- Commented on one of Laura_Mexico's Morelia travel pages
- Wrote a Review AWFUL treatment to the customers...!! in Morelia Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Danza de los Viejitos"
- updated a Morelia Travel Page "A beautiful & quiet colonial town..."
Photos in MoreliaSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 102 reviews, 111 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 38 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 50 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morelia Intro, 35 reviews, 46 photos
- New York City Intro, 43 reviews, 37 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos
- Boston Intro, 29 reviews, 20 photos
- Turku Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos
- Montreal Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue