"A beautiful & quiet colonial town..." Top 5 Page for this destination Morelia by Laura_Mexico

Morelia Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 131 photos

Many many years ago, when Morelia wasn't the town it is today and did not have the million inhabitants it does now, my parents fell in love with it and started visiting it very often (once or twice a year). Back then, you had to drive about 5-6 hours from Mexico City to the town of Morelia, passing by a lot of tiny rural towns and driving on a rather poor quality road.

I have visited & known Morelia since I can remember. I was a little girl when we started travelling there almost every vacation period my family had available. My parents bought a piece of land where they planned to build a nice house and live in this peaceful place one day, after they retired...

None of us ever moved to Morelia, but we continued visiting it frequently until the late 90's or so. When I was a kid I didn't fully appreciate it because, being a child, I felt there weren't many things to do or see, not many places to have fun at, and after 10-20 visits we had rather seen EVERYTHING there was to see. In fact, there aren't many interesting places for kids there, but once you learn to appreciate the city for itself, you realize it's one of the most beautiful towns there are in the entire country. Besides, now we have a highway which cut the 5-6 hour drive down to only 3.5-4 hours at most, and which does not force you to pass by those little rural towns anymore (even though they're pittoresque and you might want to see them if you like that kind of travel). Whether you travel by bus or on your own car, it's now much more comfortable and fast to get to Morelia than it was 10-15 years ago.

Once again I'm borrowing a few pictures from a couple of local websites, which you can also visit and where you will find plenty of tourist info about this gorgeous place!!! The rest of the pictures were taken either by myself or my dad.

www.ecoadventuremexico.com/michoacan

www.mexicodesconocido.com

www.visitmorelia.com

I will try to gradually include all the tips I gathered through all those years and I hope you do get the chance to visit this beautiful town, you'll definitely want to go back...!!!! Please be patient, I will build this page slowly, but will try to make a good job! ;-)

• Pros:Beautiful, rather small, quiet, lots of local handcrafts, food & candy to buy! Nice weather in general, too.
  • Cons:Traffic is getting a bit chaotic as there's no place left for big avenues to be built, so moving around the city is turning a bit complicated...
  • Last visit to Morelia: Feb 2009
  • Intro Updated Mar 1, 2009

• CristinaL's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2013 at 4:25 AM

I would spend my Summers in Morelia from 1969 until 1980 visiting my grandparents who lived just outside of Morelia near a small airport. My grandfather was a pilot for the Ramirez family, so they built a home near the airport for convenience. As a child I did not appreciate the culture that was surrounding me in Morelia, but as a teen I soaked up as much of the Culture that I could during my visits. It was such a wonderful time and I have great memories. I remember many of the other people from the U.S. that lived there had homes on Santa Maria Hill. When I look at the satellite photo now of Morelia, it looks like it has grown by leaps and bounds since I was last there in 1980.

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo
      Apr 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I am glad to hear you really got to appreciate such a wonderful place.... I, like you, did not appreciate it as a child and was bored to be taken there every single year..... but as years went by I really got to appreciate this lovely place and have gone back a couple of times in the last years, always happy to be there and remember my childhood trips. Yes, Morelia has grown A BIG DEAL and even Santa Maria hill, which used to be deserted some 20 years ago, is now crowded with houses, schools, etc.....

• Mailo's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Bonita historia de la vida tuya y de tus padres conrelacion a Morelia, has logrado transmitir tu admiración por la ciudad y tus vivencias. Felicidades.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Lots of good info here; We loved Morelia!! I just did a little page on La Paz, Baja Sur

• chizz's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Enjoyed reading your Morelia pages - will do my SL ones soon!!!

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 1:45 PM

Nice page - sounds like a nice getaway from the hustle and bustle of Mexico. >~!

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2006 at 8:49 PM

Morelia sounds like a good home-away-from-home.

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2006 at 9:43 AM

Hola Laura! Morelia parece muy buena y linda! Feliz cumpleaños desde Finlandia!

• Hermanater's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2006 at 9:23 AM

Feliz cumpleanos Laura....Morelia looks like a nice place to visit. I think everybody has that place that is special in their heart....

Laura_Mexico

“Men suck BIG TIME... But TRAVELLING IS THE BEST! :)”

Badges & Stats in Morelia

Have you been to Morelia?

Latest Activity in Morelia