"Welcome to my VT site !!!" Laura_Mexico's Profile

Travel pages STILL growing little by little!

I love to travel and I've been to many countries & towns as I started travelling with my family when I was a kid. Now it's been over 10 years since I started traveling on my own and visiting friends around the world, which I enjoy a lot..... and I hope to keep on visiting many new places in the years to come. I studied International Relations and speak several languages, so I also love to meet people from other countries who come to mine and to practice my skills whenever I get to travel abroad, besides of learning other new things, of course!

My pages include comments about my trips and as many tips as I've been able to gather, as well as photos taken by me or my family/friends (most of them) and some that I've borrowed from public websites.... I hope all this can help someone during their trips! I'm continuosly updating them, although I don't get the chance to make long trips to far away places as often as I would like to (sniff!!), but I'm doing my best to include as much useful information as possible!

My last trip just ended yesterday (September 2011); I was lucky to attend my very first BIG VT MEET in my favorite city ever: PARIS!!!! My hubby came with me -- it was our first major trip together and it took me quite some work to convince him to come along -- and we also visited Budapest, Rome and Barcelona during this wonderful 3-week trip. I already started and will continue posting my newest tips, updates and pictures little by little, please check back for more info! Hope you will find something useful for your future trips, so you can enjoy them as much as I enjoyed mine!

Earlier in the year (March) we visited a very nice and dear destination to me within Mexico: Puerto Vallarta, a superb beach town in my country!!! Lovely town, nice weather, a wonderful coastal destination for a great vacation! It had been over 4 years since my last trip there (Oct 2006) and before then 8 years went by before I could go back to this place, but I love it and wish to keep going back again and again!! I am slowly building my Vallarta page as well so please come back -- after this last trip I have more stuff to share........

Before that, my hubby and I made a few short trips within the country as well; we visited one of my favorite cities twice: Morelia, and we stopped by the Monarch Butterfly sanctuary once as well (pages are still in progress!). We also visited Aguascalientes and San Miguel de Allende, this latter a +/- 3-hour drive from Mexico City and a very nice weekend destination (a foreign tourist favorite, in fact). I posted the few tips I could gather there during our short stay.

My previous major trip (2007) was a wonderful tour around Europe (including Sweden, Finland, Poland, Czech Republic, France and Italy). Back in 2005 my trips included a long journey around northern USA and south eastern Canada, then a 5-day trip to Acapulco, the closest beach destination we have from Mexico City, and which I'm sure you've heard about many times... So I'm updating that page now, too! Hope you find useful stuff there!

Previously - in 2002 - I spent a month in Europe (visiting Finland, France, Germany and Spain) and before that I lived a whole month in Rome in 2000. The previous years I traveled extensively with my family to several destinations in Europe, USA, the Caribbean and Central America. My future dream destinations are: Santorini in Greece, Egypt, India, Buenos Aires in Argentina, Australia (where my brother lives) and New Zealand (where some dear ex coworkers live), Cuba (if Fidel doesn't die soon! LOL).... and who knows what else I can think of later on!

The whole VT site is cool, enjoy it!

Europe in late summer / early fall

This year (2011) was my first time visiting Europe after the spring or summer months. I didn't know what to expect in regards to the weather -- I searched for historic records and averages and it looked like it was going to be nice, although with the global warming you can no longer be sure of anything or trust any "historical data" when it comes to the weather. I read about the topic on line and they said we could expect nice weather for the most part, but I still wasn't too convinced that this info was accurate. Also, I had been on similar latitudes during the fall in the past and it had been REALLY cold -- at least for my standards. So I packed some summer clothes but also took some socks, scarves, sweaters and a big jacket with me, just in case.....

Well, the weather turned out to be great almost everywhere we went. Paris welcomed us with the cloudiest days and some rain. That's not unusual for Paris though.... we got a beautiful day for the VT meet picnic @ Champs de Mars but the rest of the time the weather wasn't too nice. However, we had very hot and sunny days in Budapest, Rome and Barcelona, and even in Paris before flying back home. No clouds, no rain, just sun and a warm lovely weather. Needless to say I was delighted! I think this IS a very nice time to visit Europe, before the cold weather starts to set in. I would definitely come back during September in future trips. Also, prices are lower than in the summer months (lodging, budget airline tickets). There still were a lot of people visiting, but certainly less than during the summer. I had to drag my jacket and scarves the whole trip but I think that was better than being FORCED to wear them...!!!

And finally my *10* anniversary on VT!

I remember when I first found this place thanks to an old friend (an inactive VT member by now)....... I didn't like it!!! And I thought it was useless and a waste of time to browse the tips and more so to post them and scan pictures to upload them here, not to mention that I thought it was a bit too personal to post all that traveling information about your private trips. Well, that has changed a lot ever since, as you may see! I love this site, have found a lot of useful info here, have shared a good deal of info myself (and have used the site as a sort of "travel journal" as well), and have met wonderful people thanks to VT. So I'm not planning to leave anytime soon!!!

• Intro Updated Sep 28, 2011

• Updated Comment
    ozalp's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Feliz cumpleaños vecina!

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo
      Apr 15, 2013 at 10:02 PM

VECINA!!!! Where have you been!?! I hope all is well with you! I had not been here in AGES... just came in to see if there were any bday greetings LOL... muchas gracias! :)

Other comments
  • toemayn's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• CEP1863's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Laura, hope you have a super birthday and a year packed with memorable travel!

• kingip's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2014 at 7:06 AM

cheers for your B/D!

• stamporama's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2014 at 2:14 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LAURA!!! I hope you have a great day.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Laura, Happy Birthday. PJ

• Michael_D's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2014 at 7:50 PM

welcome back!

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Hi Laura. How are you doing and what have you been up to?

• chizz's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2014 at 5:10 AM

Great to see you in Mexico City, Laura, after meeting and chatting on VT for several years! Glad to count you amongst my friends and thanks for taking the time to see some sights with me on several occasions during my stay! Will be back soon xx

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo
      Feb 23, 2014 at 12:35 AM

I had not logged in on VT till now guera.... it was my pleasure to hang out with you after aaaaaall these years of VT-friendship!!! I thought the time when we would meet personally would NEVER come!! But we FINALLY got to meet in person and have a good time -- at least I did and I hope you did as well and enjoyed your time here after such a looong absence. I really do hope to see you again very soon :)

• stamporama's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2014 at 5:58 AM

Hey Laura! Great to hear from you! I hope all's well with you and your family. I fondly remember my visit to your country, really loved it especially the restaurant we ate in and the Yucatan area. So Paris and Rome are your faves too, huh? I can't blame you for wanting to go back there, there's just so much to see/do with so little time. But I'm quite sure you will return there soon...you did toss 3 coins in the Trevi, no?? Anyways, my family's due to go to the US this May and hopefully we might include Peru as a side trip. Wish me luck!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Laura_Mexico

“Men suck BIG TIME... But TRAVELLING IS THE BEST! :)”

Real Name