Barcelona Transportation Tips by Laura_Mexico
Barcelona Transportation: 597 reviews and 499 photos
Barcelona Metro ticket
Barcelona has a pretty good metro and bus service. Here you can see a picture of my metro ticket, which was good for 10 trips (either on the metro or the buses)... There are single ride tickets, day cards or tickets like mine, with a limited number of rides and which can be used by more than one person (eg. if there are 2 people traveling, you valid the card/ticket twice when boarding a bus or accessing the metro). This 10-trip cards are the most convenient because a single ticket costs something like 1.45 EUR but a 10-trip card costs 8.50 EUR....!!! So you end up paying about 40% less by buying the card and it has no time limit so you can keep it for weeks or months and it will still be valid (until the transport rates are modified).
The metro and bus lines connect the most important points of the city. However, if you really want to admire the beauty of the town, you'd better walk.... the downtown area is rather reduced and you can walk down the Rambla to the harbor and visit the Barri Gotic (halfway between Plaza Catalunya and the harbor) and you'll see most of the interesting sites Barcelona has... Montjuic, another very interesting area, is just 3-4 metro stations away from Plaza Catalunya and there are buses and also a funicular that takes you up the hill (or you can also walk).
Barcelona has an international airport, which you can reach from downtown by train. So if you're flying, your plane will arrive at the airport and then you can take a train (and then the metro) to go anywhere in town. Mind you, the train station is located close to Terminal 2, so if you arrive to Terminal 1 (as it was my case) you will need to take a shuttle to Terminal 2 and then take the train.
However, there is now another option to get to the city center quickly and without having to go through that hassle. They now have a service called Aerobus, a blue bus that takes you directly from the airport to the main centric areas in Barcelona: Plaza Espanya, next to Montjuic hill, and Plaza Catalunya, right in the heart of the city and where the Rambla starts. It's only 5.30 EUR per person for a single ride (2011) and the journey is 30 minutes long, approximately. It's comfortable and convenient, and they even give you a free map of the city. There are buses coming back and forth every 5-10 minutes or so, and every 20 minutes in less busy hours. You can buy the ticket from the driver, from a clerk at their bus stop in Plaza Catalunya or the Airport, or from a vending machine located next to the bus stop (not available in all stops). It runs from 5:30 AM to midnight or even later, depending on the terminal. This bus serves BOTH terminals of the airport, so it has routes A1 and A2. This isn't an issue when going from the airport to the city, but when going back to the airport make sure you take the right bus so you don't end up in the wrong terminal. The clerk at Plaza Catalunya knew which airlines departed from which terminal, so you can also get assistance from these people if you aren't 100% sure where you're departing from. Website provided for more information.
You can also arrive to Barcelona by train, being the main station Barcelona Sants -- this station is connected to the metro system and this is where you will arrive if you take the train from the airport, too.
More Reviews (22)
- See All Beautiful gothic church
- "Go to Spain.... I think it's very near"
- Good basic hostel in Barri Gotic
- See All Great pastries and sandwiches
Laura_Mexico's Related Pages
Barcelona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barcelona es bona..."
- "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
- "Truly Catalunya, Truly Spain"
- "Barcelona,one of the most beautiful Spanish cities"
- "Addictive Barcelona"
- "BCN, a mediterranean capital"
- "Gaudi is Not the Only Site in the City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barcelona
- Hotels in Barcelona
- Transportation in Barcelona
- Nightlife in Barcelona
- Restaurants in Barcelona
- Shopping in Barcelona
- Warnings and Dangers in Barcelona
- See All...
Explore the World
- Corning Hotels
- Ballina Hotels
- Cadlao Island
- Newtown Monasterboice Hotels
- Warren Hotels
Badges & Stats in Barcelona
- 24 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Barcelona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barcelona
Photos in BarcelonaSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 97 reviews, 103 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 38 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 50 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morelia Intro, 35 reviews, 46 photos
- New York City Intro, 43 reviews, 37 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos
- Boston Intro, 29 reviews, 20 photos
- Turku Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos
- Montreal Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Barcelona hotel reviews
- Pension Villanueva
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Guillermo Tell
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2013
- Ibis Barcelona Meridiana
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Petit Palace Museum
- 209 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- Hostal Gat Raval
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 3, 2013
- Rivoli Ramblas
- 285 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Hotel Ciutat Vella
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2013
- 987 Barcelona Hotel
- 146 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2013
- Sea Point Youth Hostel
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2013
- Valencia Apartments Barcelona
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Apr 24, 2012
- Olivia Plaza
- 578 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Hostal Santa Anna
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 6, 2013
- AC Barcelona
- 300 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Hostal Levante
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Flor Parks Hotel
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Parc Guell- 310 Reviews, 616 Photos
- Las Ramblas- 223 Reviews, 357 Photos
- Temple de la Sagrada Familia- 428 Reviews, 875 Photos
- Casa Mila - La Pedrera- 179 Reviews, 334 Photos
- Tibidabo- 56 Reviews, 108 Photos
- Montjuic- 75 Reviews, 144 Photos
- Beaches- 72 Reviews, 125 Photos
- Cathedral La Seu- 121 Reviews, 215 Photos
- Barri Gotico- 165 Reviews, 295 Photos
- Casa Batlló- 120 Reviews, 252 Photos
See All Barcelona Things to Do