Barcelona Off The Beaten Path Tips by Laura_Mexico
Barcelona Off The Beaten Path: 461 reviews and 675 photos
The Magic Fountain of Mont Juic
Back when I visited this attraction not many people knew about it -- at least I never heard about it in my first visit to Barcelona, but on my 2nd visit I got to see it and I LOVED IT...!! There weren't too many people going to see it but this time, 9 years later (2011), there were A LOT of people watching it and apparently it has become really popular.
The main picture of this tip was taken from a postcard I bought there because my film camera was unable to catch all the colors of the fountain water, and the postcard showed the fountain the way it really looked like at night. You will see a nice laser behind the Modern Art Museum, and the fountains will "dance" along with the music they play, make lovely figures and display many different bright colors.
So on my last trip (2011) I had to go back and see the fountain again. This time my digital camera was able to take some really nice pictures and even a short video of the show. I still wasn't able to take a good picture of the modern art museum with the laser behind, but the fountain pics were pretty decent.
The shows start every thursday, friday, saturday and sunday (during the summer) at 9:30 PM and there is one every 30 minutes until 11:30 PM -- although I think they were more frequent than that -- something like every 15 minutes or so. During the winter (October to May or so) the shows are only during the weekend (Fri-Sat-Sun). It's something really worth seeing, and it's FREE!
Inside the Poble Espanyol
This is the inside of the "Poble Espanyol" -- charming, as you may see! You really feel as if you were in an old village... At least when I was there it wasn't crowded at all, so it also felt as being in a "ghost" town -- almost deserted!
What you will find inside this place, besides these nice buildings, is a bunch of little workshops and stores where they sell ALL kind of typical Spanish souvenirs. You can buy jewelry, fans, clothes, glass stuff, embroideries, and many other things made by the locals. There are also a couple of places to eat. Of course, what you buy here is not included in the entrance fee.
In the Aquarium
I highly recommend that you visit the BARCELONA AQUARIUM, located right next to Maremagnum shopping center, in the New Port... It's very big and modern, very well maintained and you will see some wonderful and rare species displayed there --- even PENGUINS! The entrance is a little expensive (I got a discount and still paid 9.90 EUR) but it's worth it, especially if you're going with children: they'll love it.
The visit isn't that long, but try to go there very early or by early afternoon (2-4 PM, when people usually have lunch in Spain) to avoid crowds, or you WILL spend a long time there -- making a line to try to get in! They also have a cute souvenir shop.
The entrance to the Poble Espanyol
This is the entrance to the "Poble Espanyol" (which means "Spanish town" in Catalan), which is a replica of an old Spanish town where there are handcrafts workshops, restaurants and stores... Located in Mont Juic, just a short walk uphill from the Modern Art Museum!
You'll be able to see the sharks, fish, eels and other species swimming right above your head... while walking by the crystal hall that goes through the big pool where they live...!! It's really spectacular.
More Reviews (19)
- See All Beautiful gothic church
- "Go to Spain.... I think it's very near"
- Good basic hostel in Barri Gotic
- See All Great pastries and sandwiches
Laura_Mexico's Related Pages
Barcelona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barcelona es bona..."
- "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
- "Truly Catalunya, Truly Spain"
- "Barcelona,one of the most beautiful Spanish cities"
- "Addictive Barcelona"
- "BCN, a mediterranean capital"
- "Gaudi is Not the Only Site in the City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barcelona
- Hotels in Barcelona
- Transportation in Barcelona
- Nightlife in Barcelona
- Restaurants in Barcelona
- Shopping in Barcelona
- Warnings and Dangers in Barcelona
- See All...
Explore the World
- Castelló de Empúries Hotels
- Pacijan Island Hotels
- Montevideo Hotels
- Vila Nova de Milfontes
- Pantai Remis
- Malolos Hotels
- State of West Bengal
- Cyprus Off The Beaten Path
- Fussen Off The Beaten Path
- Bonn Off The Beaten Path
- Musee Nissim de Camondo
- New Zealand Off The Beaten Path
- Kenya Off The Beaten Path
- Ivalo Off The Beaten Path
- George Off The Beaten Path
- Tunisia Off The Beaten Path
- Isla Mujeres
- Praia da Rocha Off The Beaten Path
- Hidden places in Lille
Badges & Stats in Barcelona
- 24 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Barcelona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barcelona
Photos in BarcelonaSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 99 reviews, 108 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 38 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 50 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morelia Intro, 35 reviews, 46 photos
- New York City Intro, 43 reviews, 37 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos
- Boston Intro, 29 reviews, 20 photos
- Turku Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos
- Montreal Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Barcelona hotel reviews
- Hotel Barcelona Universal
- 1352 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Ronda Lesseps Hotel Barcelona
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Advance Hotel Barcelona
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- 267 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Hostal Neutral
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Grand Hotel Central
- 891 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Silken Gran Havana
- 336 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Santa Susana Resort
- 1198 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Pension Alamar
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
- Hostal Baires
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- Pension Picasso
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2013
- Gran Ducat Hotel
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Bel Art Hotel Barcelona
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- H10 Raco Del Pi
- 461 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Temple de la Sagrada Familia- 430 Reviews, 889 Photos
- Las Ramblas- 224 Reviews, 361 Photos
- Parc Guell- 309 Reviews, 624 Photos
- Casa Mila - La Pedrera- 180 Reviews, 343 Photos
- Tibidabo- 56 Reviews, 108 Photos
- Montjuic- 78 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Casa Batlló- 121 Reviews, 257 Photos
- Monument a Colon - Columbus Monument- 87 Reviews, 150 Photos
- Plaça Reial- 56 Reviews, 96 Photos
- Beaches- 72 Reviews, 125 Photos
See All Barcelona Things to Do