Rome Off The Beaten Path Tips by Laura_Mexico
Rome Off The Beaten Path: 773 reviews and 1,314 photos
The piazza in front of the church
Next to the Pyramide metro station.....
The surroundings of Rome
There are also many pittoresque small towns in the surroundings of Rome, as well as some nice lakes, where you can get by using the train too and are only a few minutes away from the town, like Tivoli, Anguillara, Castelgandolfo, etc.
Sand & Sun!
If you love sunbathing you might as well like to hear this: the same trains that take you to the Ostia Antica ruins go to the beach of Ostia, which is only a couple of stations ahead from the Ruins. It's not the most beautiful beach in Italy, but it's the closest one to Rome and it's pretty calm on weekdays (don't try to go on weekends cause it's more than crowded). If you rent a car or have friends that can take you farther than this, there are other nicer and less crowded beaches like Fregene (full of beach clubs), Tor Vaianica , Passo Oscuro , etc.
If you'll be staying in Rome for a while and have enough time to take a look to the surroundings too, make sure to take a train to the Ostia Antica ruins, which are only 25 minutes away from Rome (to the south west) and are HUGE and impressive. There are trains that go there many times a day, departing from the Roma Ostiense train station (next to the PIRAMIDE metro station) or the EUR-Magliana station.
Here another shot of The Changing of The Guard in front of the Quirinale palace....
The Changing of the Guard
The Changing of The Guard at the Buckingham Palace in London is very famous, but did you know they also have a Changing of The Guard in Rome?? This is fairly new, it was started by the new President and it's a nice short ceremony that takes place everyday at 3 PM in front of the presidential palace, called the "Quirinale".
Another nice sight from the surroundings of Rome... this small town is lovely!
A view of Bracciano Lake (near Anguillara), located north of Rome.
Main altar @ San Giovanni church
Didn't I tell you that San Giovanni in Laterano was really wonderful on the inside as well??? Ok, here you can witness it with your own eyes: this is a picture of the main althar of the church...
More Reviews (39)
- See All Wonderful coffee
- See All Bed & Breakfast on a great location
- See All Drivers.....
- See All A nice big basilica.....
Laura_Mexico's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "weekends in Rome"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Explore the World
- Surrey Hotels
- Newport Hotels
- Lawrenceville Hotels
- Petersfield Hotels
- Ban Thabok
- Schwäbisch Hall
- Bad Tölz Off The Beaten Path
- Sungei Buloh Nature Park
- Worthing Off The Beaten Path
- Lima Off The Beaten Path
- Shockoe Bottom
- Barcelos Off The Beaten Path
- Rapperswil Off The Beaten Path
- Bellingham Off The Beaten Path
- Syros Island Off The Beaten Path
- Newcastle upon Tyne Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 50 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 38 Forum posts
- 89 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
Photos in RomeSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 99 reviews, 108 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 38 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 50 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morelia Intro, 35 reviews, 46 photos
- New York City Intro, 43 reviews, 37 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos
- Boston Intro, 29 reviews, 20 photos
- Turku Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos
- Montreal Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Rome hotel reviews
- Royal Home
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 1, 2013
- Le Petit Hotel
- 120 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 18, 2013
- 293 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Mondial
- 349 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Hotel Domus Praetoria
- 513 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Best Western Globus Hotel
- 220 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- The Beehive
- 637 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013
- 182 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Brasile Hotel Rome
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2013
- Hotel Verona
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Residenza Borghese
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- Hotel Bolivar
- 252 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 29, 2013
- Colosseum- 490 Reviews, 889 Photos
- Trevi Fountain- 330 Reviews, 543 Photos
- Piazza Venezia - Vittoriano- 183 Reviews, 299 Photos
- Roman Forum- 296 Reviews, 552 Photos
- Piazza di Spagna - Spanish Steps- 294 Reviews, 455 Photos
- Trajan & Imperial Forums- 90 Reviews, 165 Photos
- Castel Sant'Angelo- 141 Reviews, 264 Photos
- Pantheon- 262 Reviews, 530 Photos
- Piazza Navona- 234 Reviews, 401 Photos
- Campidoglio - Capitoline Hill- 112 Reviews, 202 Photos
See All Rome Things to Do