Rome Off The Beaten Path Tips by Laura_Mexico
Rome Off The Beaten Path: 776 reviews and 1,328 photos
The piazza in front of the church
Next to the Pyramide metro station.....
The surroundings of Rome
There are also many pittoresque small towns in the surroundings of Rome, as well as some nice lakes, where you can get by using the train too and are only a few minutes away from the town, like Tivoli, Anguillara, Castelgandolfo, etc.
Sand & Sun!
If you love sunbathing you might as well like to hear this: the same trains that take you to the Ostia Antica ruins go to the beach of Ostia, which is only a couple of stations ahead from the Ruins. It's not the most beautiful beach in Italy, but it's the closest one to Rome and it's pretty calm on weekdays (don't try to go on weekends cause it's more than crowded). If you rent a car or have friends that can take you farther than this, there are other nicer and less crowded beaches like Fregene (full of beach clubs), Tor Vaianica , Passo Oscuro , etc.
If you'll be staying in Rome for a while and have enough time to take a look to the surroundings too, make sure to take a train to the Ostia Antica ruins, which are only 25 minutes away from Rome (to the south west) and are HUGE and impressive. There are trains that go there many times a day, departing from the Roma Ostiense train station (next to the PIRAMIDE metro station) or the EUR-Magliana station.
Here another shot of The Changing of The Guard in front of the Quirinale palace....
The Changing of the Guard
The Changing of The Guard at the Buckingham Palace in London is very famous, but did you know they also have a Changing of The Guard in Rome?? This is fairly new, it was started by the new President and it's a nice short ceremony that takes place everyday at 3 PM in front of the presidential palace, called the "Quirinale".
Another nice sight from the surroundings of Rome... this small town is lovely!
A view of Bracciano Lake (near Anguillara), located north of Rome.
Main altar @ San Giovanni church
Didn't I tell you that San Giovanni in Laterano was really wonderful on the inside as well??? Ok, here you can witness it with your own eyes: this is a picture of the main althar of the church...
More Reviews (39)
- See All Wonderful coffee
- See All Bed & Breakfast on a great location
- See All Drivers.....
- See All A nice big basilica.....
Laura_Mexico's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- "weekends in Rome"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 50 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 38 Forum posts
- 82 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
Photos in RomeSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 103 reviews, 111 photos, 6 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 38 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 50 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morelia Intro, 35 reviews, 46 photos
- New York City Intro, 43 reviews, 37 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos
- Boston Intro, 29 reviews, 20 photos
- Turku Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos
- Montreal Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trevi Fountain - Fontana di Trevi- 340 Reviews, 559 Photos
- Roman Forum- 241 Reviews, 458 Photos
- Colosseum- 485 Reviews, 897 Photos
- Piazza Venezia - Vittoriano- 188 Reviews, 312 Photos
- Spanish Steps - Piazza di Spagna- 301 Reviews, 471 Photos
- Castel Sant'Angelo- 146 Reviews, 281 Photos
- Piazza Navona- 168 Reviews, 281 Photos
- Pantheon- 270 Reviews, 556 Photos
- Palatine Hill- 76 Reviews, 147 Photos
- Villa Borghese- 76 Reviews, 144 Photos
See All Rome Things to Do