"crazymeg's Samoa Page" Top 5 Page for this destination American Samoa by crazymeg

American Samoa Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 101 photos

Ou te fiafia tele i Samoa!!! I spent last fall studying in Samoa and the 15 week program just wasn't enough. I wish that I could express just how much I learned during my stay but I just cannot, all I can say is that Samoa is an experience I will never forget and that if you are considering South Pacific travel, you cannot miss Samoa.

Samoa was the first independant South Pacific country in 1962, a date which just goes to show how recent much of the development within the Pacifc has been. Though it is important to note that Samoa was once Western Samoa and has been called Samoa since just 1990. Samoa is different from American Samoa, though they are the same archipeligo, and culturally the same and there are immense famly ties between the two, they are politically different. Samoa is as above stated, an independant country and American Samoa is an unorganizaed and unincorporated American territory. The two have been divided since 1900. Though travel is frequent between the two, only a ten minute, BEAUTIFUL plane ride!

Random tips:
*get the Lonely planet guide, very helpful
*always thank people: fa'afetai
*always say hello: malo
*always drink Vailima, granted there really isn't much choice
Make sure you get over to Savai'i as well, and if possibly Manono

• Last visit to American Samoa: Dec 1999
  • Intro Written Jul 27, 2001

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in American Samoa

Have you been to American Samoa?

Latest Activity in American Samoa