"weekend in Hanau" Hanau am Main by brendareed
Hanau am Main Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 153 photos
Our interest in Hanau was to see the place where Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, a.k.a. Brothers Grimm of fairy tale fame, were born. One of our interests in day trips around Germany is to visit the small towns along the “Fairy Tale Trail”, a 485 mile trail that begins in Hanau and winds its way up through the small villages of Hessen and the northern German states, following the life and works of the brothers.
The two brothers were born 13 months apart in 1785 and 1786 (Jacob being the oldest) in Hanau. Early in life they were dealt the hardships of coming from a poor family after their father died when they were around ten years old. This did not stop them from trying to make the most of their lives – they went on to university in Marburg and became linguists and researchers of the Germanic language. Part of their research led them to collect and publish local folk stories – stories that we all have come to know and love such as Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Hansel and Gretel, the Frog Prince, and Rumpelstiltskin among many others. Their published collection entitled Children’s and Household Tales was published in 1812 and will celebrate its 200th anniversary during a special yearlong celebration along the Fairy Tale Trail.
In the heart of Hanau standing tall and proud in the center of the market square is a large statue dedicated to the favorite sons of Hanau: Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm. It is this statue that we came to see on our visit to Hanau.
Hanau as a city wasn’t anything spectacular; unfortunately it was damaged quite a bit during World War II. Only in the past years has the town begun to rebuild. Because of Hanau’s close proximity to Frankfurt, many of its residents commute to the larger city for work.
We took a walking tour of Hanau. While also seeing the statue, we found that an arts festival was going on that same day (which would explain why parking was so hard to find!). We walked around the festival, enjoyed some of the music and looked at the vendor’s stalls. Other items of interest in Hanau are several museums, the Walloon-Dutch Church (Wallonisch-Niederländische Kirche), the German Goldsmith House, and Philippsruhe Castle.
The Brothers Grimm National Memorial, the statue we came to Hanau to see, rests in the center of town in the very large... more travel advice
brendareed's Related Pages
Hanau am Main Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hanau- I was born there!"
- "weekend in Hanau"
- "Bonio's trip to Hanau"
- "Hanau in summer"
- "A Wombat in Hanau"
- "Hanau, DE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hanau am Main
- Hotels in Hanau am Main
- Transportation in Hanau am Main
- Nightlife in Hanau am Main
- Restaurants in Hanau am Main
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Hanau am Main
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Hanau am Main?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hanau am Main
Photos in Hanau am MainSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 100 reviews, 439 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 88 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 52 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 43 reviews, 196 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz Intro, 37 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alsfeld Intro, 43 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 28 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 31 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sicilia Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos