"weekend with Old No. 7" Top 5 Page for this destination Lynchburg by brendareed

Lynchburg Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 71 photos

The Jack Daniel’s Distillery in Lynchburg, Tennessee, had been on my must-see list for quite a while. A bit surprising since I don’t even drink the Old No. 7 sourmash whiskey they produce. But this peaceful little town in the heart of the smallest county in Tennessee was a favorite of my dad, who made many trips here.

Hubby and I were driving west on a cross country trip and were in the middle of Tennessee when we realized that a very large snow storm was in our path. Deciding that we really didn’t need to go to Memphis, we detoured south towards Alabama. It was then that I realized we’d be driving through Moore County and nearby Lynchburg. Call it fate, but we had to stop. We took the tour and made it to Alabama before the little bit of snow hit; a great decision to detour! I thought a lot about my dad on that Jack Daniel’s tour.

in memory of oldsourmash

Dad was a connoisseur of all things Jack Daniel’s. As long as I can remember, he drank Old No. 7. Not only was it his beverage of choice, but he was a collector of Jack Daniel’s memorabilia. After retirement, Dad finally broke down and bought a computer (something he said he’d never do). Then he got hooked onto the internet (again, he said he had no need of it). One thing led to another and he was hooked on eBay and tracking down obscure and rare Jack Daniel’s shot glasses, cars, jugs, and bottles. His collection took over the basement of his house and his office (I think he was limited to those areas by Mom). His eBay handle was oldsourmash and he was well known to those who traveled in JD circles. Many of the items Dad had that didn’t come from eBay came directly from Lynchburg and the general store there. He collected the commemorative bottles sold at the distillery. He had t-shirts, sweatshirts, coasters, and things that I didn’t even know what they were.

Several years ago when Dad passed away, it became my responsibility to dispose of his massive JD collection – more than 500 shot glasses alone! Mom and I decided that we should sell it, so I photographed each individual piece in the collection and researched the items, selling them on eBay under Dad’s handle, letting everyone know that Dad was gone but his memory would live on through his collection. The outpouring of love and friendship from other JD collectors was unbelievable! I learned of pages on other people's websites that listed him as a top collector. It was only then that I realized how much my dad knew about this stuff; having to go through his meticulous recordkeeping (thankfully Dad kept good records of all the transactions so I had a good idea of what to price things). More than once I had someone ask me if I could locate a particular item in Dad’s collection to sell to them since apparently Dad was quite good at sniping the items in the final seconds of the auctions. It took me more than a year to sell off his collection, but I know that these items went to some very fine people that will treasure not only Dad’s JD items, but also their friendship with him.

We sold just about everything of Dad’s JD collection, except for his favorite JD jug, which his remains are now kept in. I kind of think he’d be happy about that. So I raise my glass (and dedicate this page) to my dad – a man that did his best to keep the town of Lynchburg in business.

• Intro Updated May 27, 2014

• jojes's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Lovely story about your dad and his collection. It must have been hard to dispose of the collection he had set up, but obviously good to know it is now in hands of people that take good care of it.

• brendareed's Profile Photo
      May 28, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Thanks so much for visiting my page! It wasn't as difficult as it may seem since I learned a lot about my dad during that time and met (virtually) some people that thought he was a special guy (he was). Yes, it is good to know that the things he enjoyed are now being enjoyed by others who appreciate them. ~Brenda

brendareed

“seeing the world, one weekend at a time”

Badges & Stats in Lynchburg

Have you been to Lynchburg?

Latest Activity in Lynchburg