"weekend with Old No. 7" Top 5 Page for this destination Lynchburg by brendareed
Lynchburg Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 68 photos
The Jack Daniel’s Distillery in Lynchburg, Tennessee, had been on my must-see list for quite a while. A bit surprising since I don’t even drink the Old No. 7 sourmash whiskey they produce. But this peaceful little town in the heart of the smallest county in Tennessee was a favorite of my dad, who made many trips here.
Hubby and I were driving west on a cross country trip and were in the middle of Tennessee when we realized that a very large snow storm was in our path. Deciding that we really didn’t need to go to Memphis, we detoured south towards Alabama. It was then that I realized we’d be driving through Moore County and nearby Lynchburg. Call it fate, but we had to stop. We took the tour and made it to Alabama before the little bit of snow hit; a great decision to detour! I thought a lot about my dad on that Jack Daniel’s tour.
Dad was a connoisseur of all things Jack Daniel’s. As long as I can remember, he drank Old No. 7. Not only was it his beverage of choice, but he was a collector of Jack Daniel’s memorabilia. After retirement, Dad finally broke down and bought a computer (something he said he’d never do). Then he got hooked onto the internet (again, he said he had no need of it). One thing led to another and he was hooked on eBay and tracking down obscure and rare Jack Daniel’s shot glasses, cars, jugs, and bottles. His collection took over the basement of his house and his office (I think he was limited to those areas by Mom). His eBay handle was oldsourmash and he was well known to those who traveled in JD circles. Many of the items Dad had that didn’t come from eBay came directly from Lynchburg and the general store there. He collected the commemorative bottles sold at the distillery. He had t-shirts, sweatshirts, coasters, and things that I didn’t even know what they were.
Several years ago when Dad passed away, it became my responsibility to dispose of his massive JD collection – more than 500 shot glasses alone! Mom and I decided that we should sell it, so I photographed each individual piece in the collection and researched the items, selling them on eBay under Dad’s handle, letting everyone know that Dad was gone but his memory would live on through his collection. The outpouring of love and friendship from other JD collectors was unbelievable! I learned of pages on other people's websites that listed him as a top collector. It was only then that I realized how much my dad knew about this stuff; having to go through his meticulous recordkeeping (thankfully Dad kept good records of all the transactions so I had a good idea of what to price things). More than once I had someone ask me if I could locate a particular item in Dad’s collection to sell to them since apparently Dad was quite good at sniping the items in the final seconds of the auctions. It took me more than a year to sell off his collection, but I know that these items went to some very fine people that will treasure not only Dad’s JD items, but also their friendship with him.
We sold just about everything of Dad’s JD collection, except for his favorite JD jug, which his remains are now kept in. I kind of think he’d be happy about that. So I raise my glass (and dedicate this page) to my dad – a man that did his best to keep the town of Lynchburg in business.
After visiting the outside portion of the campus – the rickyard, cave spring, and office - we were led into a series of... more travel advice
Jack Daniel’s sourmash whiskey is only made here in Lynchburg – the only place in the world. The limestone cave spring... more travel advice
brendareed's Related Pages
Lynchburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "weekend with Old No. 7"
- "Jack Daniels and Miss Mary Bobo's"
- "10eke's new Lynchburg Page"
- "Lynchburg, Tennessee"
- "The Legacy of Jack Daniels"
- "Jack Daniels"
- "bolibompa's new Lynchburg Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lynchburg
- Transportation in Lynchburg
- Restaurants in Lynchburg
- Shopping in Lynchburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Lynchburg
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lynchburg
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Lynchburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lynchburg
- Posted in Travel Garmisch-Partenkirchen Forum "Re: getting around "
- Commented on one of brendareed's Lynchburg travel pages
- Wrote a Review Tour stop 4 – Charcoal Mellowing in Lynchburg Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tour stop 4 – Charcoal Mellowing"
- created a Lynchburg Travel Page "weekend with Old No. 7"
Photos in LynchburgSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 100 reviews, 439 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 88 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 52 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 43 reviews, 196 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz Intro, 37 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alsfeld Intro, 43 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 28 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 31 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sicilia Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos