"weekends in Heppenheim an der Bergstraße" Heppenheim an der Bergstrasse by brendareed
Heppenheim an der Bergstrasse Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 134 photos
Heppenheim an der Bergstraße is one of my favorite small towns in Germany – so beautiful with its half-timbered buildings that were left untouched during the world wars. And yet, this lovely little town is not in the tourist books so it is a hidden gem that does not get the crowds from the tourbuses. We love taking our visiting guests to Heppenheim to experience small town German life and to see a truly intact old town that has not been rebuilt. Because it is not far from our home, we usually go for several hours at a time, starting with dinner and then a stroll around the town. The reaction from our guests is pretty standard – surprise and excitement over the beauty of this town. Cameras in hand, visitors begin snapping photos even before we arrive at the market square, which is the most striking of all parts of Heppenheim.
Heppenheim is at the southern edge of Land Hessen and borders Land Baden-Wurtenberg not far from Heidelberg. It’s name includes “an der Bergstraße” (Bergstrasse) because it sits between of the Odenwald and road that runs parallel to these mountains, both with the name Bergstraße in them. It is a region that hosts the smallest wine region in Germany, the Hessiche Bergstraße, famous for their white wines, especially their Rieslings. I’ve tried many wines in Europe, but I still like the ones from the Bergstraße the best.
Heppenheim began as a village that supported Castle Starkburg, which was built to help protect nearby Lorsch Abbey during Charlemagne’s reign. It has been a town with market rights since the around the year 1000 and part of both the Electoral of Mainz and the Palatinate through the years. In a sadder part of Heppenheim’s history the area took part in the persecution of the Jews throughout the centuries, including the years prior to and during World War II. The town’s synagogue has a memorial to the former Jewish residents of Heppenheim that were deported.
While Heppenheim’s buildings are original and the town was not bombed during the two world wars, the town has experienced its share of tragedies through the centuries, with damage from fires in the 1300s and 1600s, the Thirty Years War, and the plague. Its been attacked by the French, the Swedes, and the Poles. Although to stroll around Heppenheim today, you would not know this as the town is beautifully maintained.
Come with me and stroll around the beautiful Bergstrasse village of Heppenheim!
- In a nutshell:A true gem that is not mentioned in tourist guides!
Hubby knows how much I enjoy the lanterns in Heppenheim; so this Christmas he surprised me with my very own lantern.... more travel advice
If you look closely at the lamps in Heppenheim, you see they have unique white with black designs on them. Look even... more travel advice
brendareed's Related Pages
Heppenheim an der Bergstrasse Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heart of the "Strada Montana""
- "weekends in Heppenheim an der Bergstraße"
- "Not in the Tourist Books"
- "Oh! I Found Lovely Town, that name was HEPPENHEIM!"
- "Old Town Heppenheim"
- "Visits to an exchange family"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Heppenheim an der Bergstrasse
- Hotels in Heppenheim an der Bergstrasse
- Transportation in Heppenheim an der Bergstrasse
- Nightlife in Heppenheim an der Bergstrasse
- Restaurants in Heppenheim an der Bergstrasse
- Shopping in Heppenheim an der Bergstrasse
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Heppenheim an der Bergstrasse
- 11 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Heppenheim an der Bergstrasse?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heppenheim an der Bergstrasse
- Posted in Travel Garmisch-Partenkirchen Forum "Re: getting around "
- Commented on one of brendareed's Heppenheim an der Bergstrasse travel pages
- Wrote a Review my very own Heppenheim lantern in Heppenheim an der Bergstrasse Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "my very own Heppenheim lantern"
- updated a Heppenheim an der Bergstrasse Travel Page "weekends in Heppenheim an der Bergstraße"
Photos in Heppenheim an der BergstrasseSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 100 reviews, 439 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 88 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 52 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 43 reviews, 196 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz Intro, 37 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alsfeld Intro, 43 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 28 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 31 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sicilia Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos