"weekend in Castle Rock" Top 5 Page for this destination Castle Rock by brendareed
Castle Rock Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 70 photos
I have family in Castle Rock so I get to travel here on a regular basis. While I haven’t done a lot of touring in the area (I tend to spend time with the family instead), I have been able to see some of this naturally beautiful area. It often looks very dry (which it is) but as you look towards the horizon, you can see the snow covered mountains that beckon you to come visit.
The primary natural land feature in Castle Rock is…the Castle Rock, a rock formation that towers over Interstate 25 and overlooks the old part of town. Rock Park is the start of the hike up the rock and is considered a difficult hike with a bit of rock climbing at the end if you want to go to the top; if you don’t hike the last part, then it would be considered moderately difficult (steep with steps and rough terrain in spots). Early settlers came for the rhyolite stone that was discovered in the butte near Plum Creek, which can be seen as a decorative stone in many buildings.
Castle Rock is situated in between Denver and Colorado Springs, making it a perfect place to use at your base of operations. About 45 minutes south to Colorado Springs with the US Air Force Academy, Pikes Peak, and Garden of the Gods. About 45 minutes north to Denver (about an hour from an airport in each direction) and everything that big cities have to keep people busy. Three hours from Rocky Mountain National Park and a little over an hour from Red Rocks. Lots to see and do, and I never mentioned the skiing!
Castle Rock has all the shopping you could want with a large Outlet Mall, the big-box stores, and lots of smaller shops in the old town. It is a growing city and merchants are keeping up with demand. The town has been named one of the best places to live in the USA.
- Pros:beautiful views!
- Cons:very dry
- In a nutshell:We will be back!
We visited the Wildlife Experience with my two-year-old grandson. Having a small child with you definitely made this... more travel advice
Just off I-25 in Castle Rock are the Outlets at Castle Rock, a grouping of more than 120 brand name shops as well as... more travel advice
brendareed's Related Pages
Castle Rock Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Castle Rock, Colorado"
- "weekend in Castle Rock"
- "Small town fever"
- "Small Town Charm"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Castle Rock
- Hotels in Castle Rock
- Restaurants in Castle Rock
- Shopping in Castle Rock
- Warnings and Dangers in Castle Rock
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Castle Rock
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Castle Rock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Castle Rock
Photos in Castle RockSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 100 reviews, 439 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 88 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 52 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 43 reviews, 196 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz Intro, 37 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alsfeld Intro, 43 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 28 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 31 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sicilia Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (29)
Latest Castle Rock hotel reviews
- Castle Rock Days Inn & Suites
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013