"weekend in Kleve" Top 5 Page for this destination Kleve by brendareed
Kleve Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 78 photos
We traveled to Kleve as part of a weekend tour of this section of Germany. For me, Kleve held an interest for me since I had done extensive research on Anne of Kleve (Cleves), England’s King Henry VIII’s fourth wife, during my undergrad work. I knew that I wasn’t going to see much of anything that related to Anne, but I wanted to go anyways if only to see the area and get a visual in my mind of the town of Kleve (or Cleves).
The town has existed for nearly a thousand years, although what we see today is mostly a rebuilt Kleve after having more than 90% of the town destroyed during the bombings in World War II. I was most interested in seeing Swanenburg, Swan Castle, home to the dukes of Kleve for centuries, including the time period when Anne’s father was duke of this area.
It was a dreary and rainy Saturday when we visited Kleve, but it was a pleasurable experience to walk around the town, visit the castle, and basically see this area for myself. On our way towards our next destination, we discovered the beautiful Moyland Castle just outside the town of Kleve and an unscheduled stop here proved to be a highlight of the weekend.
Kleve doesn’t have too much to capture the interest of the average tourist. In fact, if it hadn’t been for my coursework I probably would not have ever heard of this town and definitely wouldn’t have bothered to make the trip. If you are in the area of Kleve around a meal time, I would recommend a stop here. Otherwise, you could keep on driving by and not really miss much.
The primary must-see on my Kleve list was the Swanenburg or Swan Castle. Because I came to Kleve to track down... more travel advice
The most famous person from this part of Germany is Anne of Kleve, the fourth wife of King Henry VIII of England. Anne... more travel advice
brendareed's Related Pages
Kleve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "weekend in Kleve"
- "Kleve Page"
- "Kleve - via Romana"
- "Kleve, Germany, just across our "border""
- "Operation Market Garden Tour – Kleve"
- "SCHLOSS MOYLAND"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kleve
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Kleve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kleve
Photos in KleveSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 100 reviews, 439 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 88 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 52 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 43 reviews, 196 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz Intro, 37 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alsfeld Intro, 43 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 28 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 31 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sicilia Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos