"weekends in Mainz" Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz by brendareed
Mainz Travel Guide: 323 reviews and 738 photos
Mainz is the first place we stayed when arriving in Germany – it was our home for the first month while we waited for our house. So full of history and things to do that we were never bored and we still return to the city often since some of our favorite restaurants and sights are there!
Mainz dates back to the Roman times and there are plenty of Roman ruins around town if you are interested in that part of history.
Mainz was the home of Johannes Gutenberg, the inventor of the movable type printing press. There is a museum dedicated to Gutenberg and his work as well as a statue in the middle of town honoring their favorite son.
Mainz is dominating by the Dom - St. Martin's Cathedral, one of three Romanesque imperial cathedrals in the area. But this is not the only church in Mainz as there are 12 churches in the city.
Situated on the 50th parallel, Mainz has the line drawn to mark it near the statue of Gutenberg.
Mainz has a beautiful Altstadt (Old Town) with half-timbered buildings full of shops, eateries, and ice cream.
Mainz is famous for its spring Carnival – known as “Fastnacht.” Each year, beginning in November, the parties begin and continue until the climax of the massive parade in March. The city is known for its love of carnival and has a unique statue in the Schillerplatz honoring this annual festivity.
Be sure to visit my two travelogues - Carnival Part 1 and Part 2 - for photos of the many unique floats and people that come to Mainz for Fastnacht!
Another festival - celebration in Mainz is the annual Christmas Market which is located next to the Dom in the Marktplatz from late November until just before Christmas. This wonderful event has food, wine, shopping, lights, and lots of Christmas spirit. I have added a Travelogue for the Christmas market that has additional photos from this festive annual event.
In the summer, there are four opportunities to view fireworks along the Rhein River during an event called Rhein in Flammen. While many people view this from the middle of the river on cruise ships, many others head up to the towns along the Rhein and watch from the shores. Closest to Mainz is the Bingen display which is in the early summer.
Anything you could want to eat can be found in Mainz – German, Mexican, Thai, Italian, American, fast food, beer, wine, you name it!
There are lots of places to walk in Mainz – one of my favorites in the “Three Bridges Walk” which takes you across the Theodor Heuss Bridge, the railroad bridge and the bridge between Gustavsburg and Mainz-Kostheim. It takes about 2 hours and you get some wonderful views of the river along the way as you go down one side and up the other, crossing the Rhine twice on bridges.
Have a look around Mainz - come back often - there is so much to see!
- Pros:Mainz has it all - history, architecture, food, fun!
- In a nutshell:Come often - you can't see it all in just a couple days
In the center of the Domplatz, or the market place by the cathedral, is a tall, thick column sitting within a bronze... more travel advice
Typically I drive into Mainz when visiting; however, recently I had the opportunity to use the train station. I was on a... more travel advice
brendareed's Related Pages
Mainz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mainz am Rhein"
- "weekends in Mainz"
- "Opera and cycling in Mainz"
- "Welcome to Mainz"
- "Mainz 57"
- "Willkommen in Mainz - Welcome to Mainz"
- "A Historical German City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mainz
- Hotels in Mainz
- Transportation in Mainz
- Nightlife in Mainz
- Restaurants in Mainz
- Shopping in Mainz
- Warnings and Dangers in Mainz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mainz
- 37 Reviews
- 151 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Mainz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mainz
- Posted in Travel Garmisch-Partenkirchen Forum "Re: getting around "
- Uploaded a Video to Mainz
- Uploaded a Photo to "German food and beer done right"
- Commented on one of brendareed's Mainz tips
- Wrote a Review Heunesäulen: column in the Domplatz about market-place in Mainz Things to Do
- updated a Mainz Travelogue "Mainzer Weihnachtsmarkt"
Photos in MainzSee All Photos (151)
Videos in MainzSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 100 reviews, 439 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 88 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 52 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 43 reviews, 196 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz Intro, 37 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alsfeld Intro, 43 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 28 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 31 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sicilia Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (29)
Latest Mainz hotel reviews
- Mercure Mainz Mitte
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 12, 2013
- Hilton Mainz
- 184 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel Moguntia
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 20, 2013
- Mainz City Hilton
- 96 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Hyatt Regency Mainz
- 183 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Hotel Schwan Mainz
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2012
- Ibis Hotel Mainz
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Hotel Inndependence
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- Tulip Inn Mainz Central
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
- Hof Ehrenfels
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 17, 2013
- Hotel Koenigshof
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013