"weekends at Neuschwanstein Castle" Schloss Neuschwanstein by brendareed

Schloss Neuschwanstein Travel Guide: 249 reviews and 793 photos

“It is my intention to rebuild the old castle ruin of Hohenschwangau
near the Pöllat Gorge in the authentic style of the old German knights' castles,
and I must confess to you that I am looking forward very much to living there one day (in 3 years);
there will be several cosy, habitable guest rooms with a splendid view
of the noble Säuling, the mountains of Tyrol and far across the plain…”

Ludwig II, King of Bavaria, in a letter addressed to Richard Wagner

Neuschwanstein Castle is known to most people who like castles, Europe, or Disney. It is on the top of many people’s must-see lists when they come to Germany. It was designed and built for King Ludwig II of Bavaria, who never lived to see the work completed. To this day, the castle is toured in its unfinished state by millions of tourists a year (as many as 6,000 per day walk through its halls at the height of the vacation season).

There are people that loathe this castle as the epitome of tourism run amok. And, yes, there is some truth to that. It can be crowded and there are many tour groups and buses and souvenir stalls. On busy days tempers can be short as people tire of the crowds.

But I am going to say that despite all that, Neuschwanstein Castle is a place to visit when in Germany. I despise crowds and overtly touristy places, but I honestly do like Neuschwanstein Castle. Living in Germany for several years, I have the opportunity to take guests to the castle on a regular basis. And each time I enjoy looking at the castle set high in the mountains. I’ve taken the guided tour twice so far (if my guest is traveling solo I go with them on the tour; if there are more than one, I let them make the climb up to the castle and do the tour while I find new things to explore in the area).

As a little girl I remember seeing the castle in the movie “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.” Although at the time, I didn’t know it was a real castle, I was mesmerized by the fantastical look of the structure, seen from the air as Chitty flew across the Tyrolean Alps. Disney would use Neuschwanstein Castle as its model for the castles seen in its amusement parks and on this logo of the company – seen at the start of most Disney movies as Tinkerbell flies around it.

As I have grown older, I appreciate the history, craftsmanship, creativity, and inspiration for the castle. King Ludwig II was an eccentric man who enjoyed the operas of Richard Wagner. He built this castle and dedicated its interior design to Wagner’s operas with each room representing different stories from the operas. The wood carvings, the furnishings, the details, and the whimsy in the castle are some things I find enjoyable to look at.

And you cannot beat the location! Ludwig knew how to select the best locations for his palaces! On sunny days, the area around Neuschwanstein is absolutely stunning. On dreary rainy days, it is not as nice, but it still is inspiring.

Take a tour of Neuschwanstein with me and see if you don’t agree with me that this castle is worth the time it takes to visit!

• Intro Updated May 29, 2014

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2014 at 3:55 AM

Wonderful photos! Neuschwanstein Castle seems to be a place to visit in the middle of the week, off season.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Oct 19, 2014 at 4:00 AM

I just saw that it says 1k by the google icon on this page. Does that mean that this page have been recommended by 1000 people on Google?

• brendareed's Profile Photo
      Oct 20, 2014 at 3:15 AM

Thank you, Malena, for visiting my Neuschwanstein page and for your gracious ratings. It is an interesting castle set in a gorgeous location, but, yes, the tourists can be overpowering. Off-season, mid-week is the best for sure. ~Brenda

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Thank you dear Brenda for having inspired me to visit the castle :-)) And for having your page up :-)) Next time you might like to visit the museum at Alpsee, I am sure you would love it!! English explanations included :-)

• brendareed's Profile Photo
      Jun 3, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Thanks, Ingrid for revisiting my page and for your ratings. Happy to have helped you discover the beauty of this castle! Yes, the museum sounds wonderful. We'll see if I get back there in the next year... :-)

brendareed

“seeing the world, one weekend at a time”

Badges & Stats in Schloss Neuschwanstein

Have you been to Schloss Neuschwanstein?

Latest Activity in Schloss Neuschwanstein