"weekends at Neuschwanstein Castle" Schloss Neuschwanstein by brendareed
Schloss Neuschwanstein Travel Guide: 252 reviews and 794 photos
near the Pöllat Gorge in the authentic style of the old German knights' castles,
and I must confess to you that I am looking forward very much to living there one day (in 3 years);
there will be several cosy, habitable guest rooms with a splendid view
of the noble Säuling, the mountains of Tyrol and far across the plain??
Ludwig II, King of Bavaria, in a letter addressed to Richard Wagner
Neuschwanstein Castle is known to most people who like castles, Europe, or Disney. It is on the top of many people?s must-see lists when they come to Germany. It was designed and built for King Ludwig II of Bavaria, who never lived to see the work completed. To this day, the castle is toured in its unfinished state by millions of tourists a year (as many as 6,000 per day walk through its halls at the height of the vacation season).
There are people that loathe this castle as the epitome of tourism run amok. And, yes, there is some truth to that. It can be crowded and there are many tour groups and buses and souvenir stalls. On busy days tempers can be short as people tire of the crowds.
But I am going to say that despite all that, Neuschwanstein Castle is a place to visit when in Germany. I despise crowds and overtly touristy places, but I honestly do like Neuschwanstein Castle. Living in Germany for several years, I have the opportunity to take guests to the castle on a regular basis. And each time I enjoy looking at the castle set high in the mountains. I?ve taken the guided tour twice so far (if my guest is traveling solo I go with them on the tour; if there are more than one, I let them make the climb up to the castle and do the tour while I find new things to explore in the area).
As a little girl I remember seeing the castle in the movie ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.? Although at the time, I didn?t know it was a real castle, I was mesmerized by the fantastical look of the structure, seen from the air as Chitty flew across the Tyrolean Alps. Disney would use Neuschwanstein Castle as its model for the castles seen in its amusement parks and on this logo of the company ? seen at the start of most Disney movies as Tinkerbell flies around it.
As I have grown older, I appreciate the history, craftsmanship, creativity, and inspiration for the castle. King Ludwig II was an eccentric man who enjoyed the operas of Richard Wagner. He built this castle and dedicated its interior design to Wagner?s operas with each room representing different stories from the operas. The wood carvings, the furnishings, the details, and the whimsy in the castle are some things I find enjoyable to look at.
And you cannot beat the location! Ludwig knew how to select the best locations for his palaces! On sunny days, the area around Neuschwanstein is absolutely stunning. On dreary rainy days, it is not as nice, but it still is inspiring.
Take a tour of Neuschwanstein with me and see if you don?t agree with me that this castle is worth the time it takes to visit!
On a good day, this area is a photographer?s delight! The beauty of the landscape and the interesting details of the... more travel advice
The Marienbrücke, or Mary?s Bridge, is where many of those classic photos of Neuschwanstein Castle are taken. Named... more travel advice
brendareed's Related Pages
Schloss Neuschwanstein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of the most beautiful places on the Earth!"
- "The masterpiece of a mystic man"
- "The fairy Tale castles"
- "The dream castle of King Ludwig"
- "Once upon a time.... Neuschwanstein Castle"
- "Over the edge on the way to Neuschwanstein"
- "Welcome to magic world of Ludwig II"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Hotels in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Transportation in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Nightlife in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Restaurants in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Shopping in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Warnings and Dangers in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- 7 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Schloss Neuschwanstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Commented on one of brendareed's Schloss Neuschwanstein travel pages
- Wrote a Review Where to take good photos about Viewpoints in Schloss Neuschwanstein Things to Do
- updated a Schloss Neuschwanstein Travel Page "weekends at Neuschwanstein Castle"
- Uploaded a Photo to "weekends at Neuschwanstein Castle"
Photos in Schloss NeuschwansteinSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 117 reviews, 387 photos
- Rome Intro, 101 reviews, 378 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 47 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 31 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dakar Intro, 38 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monreale Intro, 9 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalú Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ile de Goree Intro, 8 reviews, 35 photos
- Massiges Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Schloss Neuschwanstein Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos