"weekend in Nürnberg" Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg by brendareed
Nürnberg Travel Guide: 932 reviews and 3,138 photos
Nürnberg is one of my favorite German cities; it has so much of all the things I like – history, art, architecture, good food, and Christmas markets. It is one of those cities that I could keep coming back to over and over again and I doubt I would ever get tired of visiting.
Nürnberg is the home of Renaissance artist Albrecht Dürer who took the negative tradesman concept away from artists and replaced it with the artisan celebrity that the Italian artists were experiencing. Dürer was one of the first to understand the concept of marketing art to the middle class – the idea that even those without a lot of money could have a piece of art in their home through his work with engravings. He even developed one of the first logos and placed it on his work to prevent theft of his ‘copyright.’
Historically, Nürnberg has a dark period as well, known for its vivid presence during the Third Reich with the 1934 Leni Riefenstahl movie “Triumph of the Will” being filmed in the city and the location of the Nazi Party Rally Grounds nearby. Sadly, because of Nürnberg’s participation, they were severely bombed in 1945 causing massive destruction to the city and its wonderful architecture and huge loss of life of its civilians.
However, Nürnberg is a resilient city and they have recovered and rebuilt the city into the now thriving city for locals and tourists alike. There is always something to do and something to see. The annual Christmas market is a draw for people worldwide.
Did I mention I like Nürnberg? I’ve been twice and I foresee at least one or two trips in my future over the next couple years.
- Pros:Art, architecture, history, food - this city has it all!
- Cons:Gets crowded in high tourist season
- In a nutshell:I'll be back!
The Johannisfriedhof is the site of several famous graves of Nürnberg’s famous residents – notably artists Albrecht... more travel advice
Albrecht Dürer is arguably Nürnberg’s most famous son. The artist was born, lived, and died in the city, although he was... more travel advice
- See All Nuts! Don’t leave a fest without them!
- See All traditional German fare for groups
- See All Christmas market cups
Written Jan 29, 2013
Panoramic scenes around Nürnberg
Written May 22, 2013
Nürnberg at Christmastime
brendareed's Related Pages
Nürnberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "weekend in Nürnberg"
- "Willlkommen in... Nämberch!"
- "Nuremberg Altstadt"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nürnberg
- Hotels in Nürnberg
- Transportation in Nürnberg
- Nightlife in Nürnberg
- Restaurants in Nürnberg
- Shopping in Nürnberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Nürnberg
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nürnberg
- 52 Reviews
- 196 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Nürnberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nürnberg
- Posted in Travel Garmisch-Partenkirchen Forum "Re: getting around "
- created a Nürnberg Travelogue "Nürnberg at Christmastime"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nürnberg at Christmastime"
- Wrote a Review Johannisfriedhof: cemetery of Renaissance stars in Nürnberg Things to Do
- Commented on one of brendareed's Nürnberg tips
- Uploaded a Video to Nürnberg
Photos in NürnbergSee All Photos (196)
Videos in NürnbergSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 100 reviews, 439 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 88 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 52 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 43 reviews, 196 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz Intro, 37 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alsfeld Intro, 43 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 28 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 31 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sicilia Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (29)
Latest Nürnberg hotel reviews
- Hotel Garni Probst
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- EuroHotel & Suites
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hilton Nurnberg
- 140 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Minotel Gasthof Zum Storch
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2012
- Sheraton Hotel Carlton
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Romantik Hotel Am Josephsplatz
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg
- 278 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Woehrdersee Hotel Mercure Nuernberg City
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- ArtHotel City
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Burghotel Stammhaus
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 26, 2013
- Concorde Hotel Viva
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Agneshof
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Burghotel Nurnberg
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Hotel Victoria
- 191 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Derag Hotel Maximilian
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013