"weekend in Paola" Paola by brendareed
Paola Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 20 photos
Our final stop before leaving Malta was to Paola to visit the archaeological site known at the Hal Saflieni Hypogeum, a prehistoric burial complex dating back to 3600 BC. Earlier in the day we had driven to the west of the island and timed it so that we would be in Paola with enough time to find parking and grab a bite to eat. We weren’t too worried about getting to the airport afterwards as Paola was only about 3 miles from the Malta airport in Luga.
As with much of Malta, we were very thankful that we brought along our GPS since the roads were difficult at times and not always clearly marked. We found free street parking near the Hypogeum and then set out on foot to find a place to eat; this was not as easy a task as we thought it would be. There didn’t seem to be much open in Paola, but we asked some locals and they directed us to the Temple Café near the Paola Parish Church.
After a nice lunch on the rooftop terrace, we headed back for our 2:00 tour start time followed by the one hour long tour of the Hypogeum. After the tour, it was back to our car and off to the airport. Everything was working in our favor and we had a pleasant afternoon in Paola.
We were in Paola primarily for our reserved tour at the Hypogeum, a vast underground necropolis dating back to 3600 BC.... more travel advice
The Parish Church is the landmark given by the Hypogeum for those visiting and arriving by bus. It seemed to be the main... more travel advice
brendareed's Related Pages
Paola Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "weekend in Paola"
- "Paola - Rahal Gdid (The New Village)"
- "Paola - Home To The Hypogeum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paola
- Transportation in Paola
- Restaurants in Paola
- Shopping in Paola
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Paola
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Paola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paola
Photos in PaolaSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 100 reviews, 439 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 88 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 52 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 43 reviews, 196 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz Intro, 37 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alsfeld Intro, 43 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 28 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 31 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sicilia Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos