"weekend in Plzen" Top 5 Page for this destination Plzen by brendareed
Plzen Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 420 photos
Our travels took us to Plzen in the Czech Republic – primarily so we could tour the Plzen Urquell Brewery and see some of the town. This was our first trip into the Czech Republic and we found it a great town. Unfortunately for us, the rain began at the German border and didn’t stop until we returned to the border! But we were undeterred and didn’t let the weather stop us.
Plzen is known around the world as the home of Pilsener beer. The city-owned Pilsner Urquell brewery was founded in 1842. During our tour of the brewery, we saw a map of the city that showed the homes of brewers – there were more brewers than any thing else!
After we checked into the Courtyard Marriott, we headed off on foot to explore the market square area of the city. St. Bartholomew’s Cathedral stands high above the buildings that surround it, leaving a wide open area for markets, concerts, or other events. While we were there, there was a concert going on – in the rain – and everyone was having a good time.
We looked around the inside of the cathedral and then headed up the tower. Part way up, we came to a small shop and a place to pay the small entrance fee to climb the tower. St. Bartholomew’s is the third tallest building in the Czech Republic. From the top, we went out on the small deck that went around the spire for a view. It was pouring down rain at this point so we found the side that the rain wasn’t as bad and looked around pretty quickly. We couldn’t see far away, but were able to see the brewery (can’t really miss it since it dominates the area) and we had good views of the city center and market square area.
We met up with some other travels from New Zealand and we all headed over to the brewery to catch one of the afternoon tours. Tickets in hand, we had time to spare so we had a late lunch at the brewery restaurant, Na Spilce, where we had a great goulash soup in a bread bowl (tasted great after walking in the rain). After the tour of the brewery, we headed back to the hotel to relax.
The next day we did a walking tour of the town, looking at the architecture of the buildings and just enjoying the peacefulness of a morning walk through Plzen. All too soon it was time to head back home, but we made plans to return again to Plzeň and the Czech Republic.
- Pros:beer lovers must-see
- Cons:it rained the whole time we were there
- In a nutshell:Beer, architecture and beer...did I mention the beer?
On our final day in Plzeň we took an early morning walk through the town just to look at the buildings. The rain... more travel advice
Pilsner beer got its start in Plzeň – and the brewery tour is an interesting way to learn about those beginnings.... more travel advice
brendareed's Related Pages
Plzen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Plzen - Czech beer capital"
- "What a nice place!"
- "Urquell's home town"
- "weekend in Plzen"
- "Something about Pilsen"
- "Welcome to Plzen"
- "PLZEN - not just a day trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Plzen
- Hotels in Plzen
- Transportation in Plzen
- Nightlife in Plzen
- Restaurants in Plzen
- Shopping in Plzen
- Warnings and Dangers in Plzen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Plzen
- 5 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Plzen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Plzen
Photos in PlzenSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 100 reviews, 439 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 88 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 52 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 43 reviews, 196 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz Intro, 37 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alsfeld Intro, 43 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 28 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 31 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sicilia Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos