"weekend in St. Goar" Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar by brendareed
Sankt Goar Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 454 photos
St. Goar is a wonderful little town on the Rhein River. We enjoy bringing our guests to this town since it typically meets all their sight-seeing ‘needs’ – they want to see the Rhein, eat German food, visit a castle, and shop.
Typically, we will drive up the east side of the Rhein, stopping at the Loreley along the way, and cross over on the ferry at St. Goarhausen, which is the town directly across from St. Goar. We spend several hours in St. Goar and head back home on the west side of the Rhein. This way our guests get to enjoy a leisurely day along the river. The beauty of this trip is that they get to see so many castles – both sides of the river are just lined with these buildings, either as ruins or as renovated structures (the one in Bacharach is even a hostel!).
The castle, Burg Rheinfels, is a wonderful castle ruins and gives you a real appreciation for medieval castles. Strategically placed to overlook the Rhein, inhabitants can could up and down the river. Well worth a couple hours exploring the ins and outs of this huge castle.
We usually have lunch while we are in town – if the weather is nice, we sit outside and watch the people. The town has a little tourist train that is more kid-sized than anything else, but for those who have difficulty walking, this is a nice bonus.
St. Goar is a small town that's big on tourists and has a number of shops catering to them – cuckoo clocks, steins, and other things people take home with them.
Our first trip to St. Goar was as part of a tour that was covering the areas along the Rhein involved in World War Two. For an interesting article about action at St. Goar, visit http://www.gallagher.com/ww2/chapter18.html.
St. Goar makes for a leisurely day – nothing rushed about this town. We haven’t seen it all yet, so I plan to go back again and again until I do.
- Pros:great castle ruins with spectacular views
- Cons:Lots of tourists so it can get crowded
- In a nutshell:We will be back!
When traveling in Europe whenever you are visiting a restaurant or a museum, try to use their WC facilities if at all... more travel advice
St. Goar has two shops that are run by the same people - one specializes in cuckoo clocks and the other beer steins.... more travel advice
brendareed's Related Pages
Sankt Goar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St.Goar - the home of the Loreley / Lorelei"
- "Our homebase on the Rhein"
- "On the road again"
- "weekend in St. Goar"
- "Twin Town"
- "Sankt Goar"
- "Sankt Goar - Rhine river, castles, wineyards!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sankt Goar
- Hotels in Sankt Goar
- Transportation in Sankt Goar
- Nightlife in Sankt Goar
- Restaurants in Sankt Goar
- Shopping in Sankt Goar
- Warnings and Dangers in Sankt Goar
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sankt Goar
- 7 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Sankt Goar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sankt Goar
Photos in Sankt GoarSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 100 reviews, 439 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 88 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 52 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 43 reviews, 196 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz Intro, 37 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alsfeld Intro, 43 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 28 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 31 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sicilia Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos