"weekend in Solingen" Solingen by brendareed
Solingen Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 46 photos
I was interested in visiting Solingen and its castle, Schloss Burg, primarily because I had read that Anne of Kleve (Cleves) spend much of her childhood here. If you have read some of my writings, you will know that I have done a lot of research on this lady, who, at the pinnacle of the ambitions of the dukes of Kleve, was sent to England as the fourth wife of King Henry VIII. Although the marriage was annulled within six months of the wedding, she made history for the area (and for the fact that she kept her head!). Therefore, it was important for me to visit this site of my research subject’s childhood.
Why Solingen? Anne’s mother was Maria of Jülich-Berg (as in the counts of Berg) and her father was John III, duke of Cleves. When they married the two duchies were united and this castle was part of the property. Anne was their second daughter.
Solingen is in the middle of a beautiful part of North Rheinland-Westphalia in Germany. It is nestled in large rolling hills (or small rolling mountains) and seems to be a pleasant place to visit. It is east of Düsseldorf (where Anne was born) and south of Essen. Solingen, “the city of blades,” is famous its manufacturing of swords, knives, and other sharp objects. Obviously this came in handy in the Middle Ages and the swords became part of the town’s coat of arms.
Our visit to Solingen was perfect timing on an afternoon when we were traveling south from other explorations. It was a great place to stop and even for a cold, wet winter day, the castle and museum were rather busy. I can only imagine how busy it gets in the summertime when schools are out. But, no matter when you are in the area, I highly recommend a visit to Solingen and especially to the Schloss Burg.
Sitting high on the hill above Solingen is the Schloss Burg, the historical ducal home of the counts of Berg. Started in... more travel advice
brendareed's Related Pages
Solingen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Solingen und Schloss Burg Castle"
- "Made in Solingen"
- "weekend in Solingen"
- "Andre_Papa's new Solingen Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Solingen
- Hotels in Solingen
- Transportation in Solingen
- Restaurants in Solingen
- Shopping in Solingen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Solingen
- 3 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Solingen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Solingen
Photos in SolingenSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 100 reviews, 439 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 88 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 52 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 43 reviews, 196 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz Intro, 37 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alsfeld Intro, 43 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 28 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 31 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sicilia Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (29)
Latest Solingen hotel reviews
- Graefrather Hof Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013