"weekends in Rome" Rome by brendareed

Rome Travel Guide: 12,092 reviews and 26,950 photos

Hubby and I celebrated our 28th anniversary in Rome in February 2012 – a place neither of us had been to before but always near the top of our bucket list. What an experience!

Everything cooperated for us, including the weather, to make this a very memorable trip. We spent five days in the city and still feel like we only scratched the surface of places to see, foods to eat, and things to experience. We went at the end of February/early March so the crowds were not bad and we didn’t have to wait for very long, if at all, to see anything.

We started with many of the must-see items – the Vatican, St. Peter’s, the Roman Forum and Colosseum – and added to that many of the churches and sculptures that fill this magnificent city. As someone that loves art and history, I could spend many more days in Rome. The place is filled with Bernini, Caravaggio, Michelangelo, and Raphael…just to drop a couple names!

Rome is a walking city! And we walked! Hubby kept a pedometer going to keep track and over the course of the week we tallied up over 120,000 steps – the side benefit was that there was some guilt-free pizza and pasta eating going on! We were generally surprised at the size of the city (smaller than we imagined) and how close things were to each other. Before we arrived, we had planned to use the subway and bus system, but found that we really didn’t need to do that, it was typically just as quick or quicker to walk to where we wanted to get to – plus we could see so much more above ground than under it!

Rome is definitely a must-see city and should be on everyone’s bucket list! I highly recommend traveling in the off-season to avoid the heat and the crowds and prepare for some heavy walking. You will be rewarded with magnificent sights and phenomenal food! A great experience overall! And one that I hope to repeat in the near future with another trip to this magnificent city of art, history, and culture!

UPDATE: I returned to Rome over the Christmas holiday break in 2013 with my daughter and her friend. It was fun to revisit some of these places, share my interest in art and architecture with them, and experience new places on this trip.

• Intro Written Jun 1, 2014

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:22 AM

Yes, again: utmost excitement - I love your Rome page!! The history and your magnificent photos - I have goosebumps and want to visit Rome very soon!! (but can't...)

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Ditto :-) Yes, Ingrid will definitely need a break from the city of Rome - get that girl into the country in the afternoons while all the beautiful churches are closed!

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Haha, girls - I love you so much - both of you!
      And : one day - promise - you both will visit me in Italy!! Either I come to see you in Rome or we meet elsewhere.
      And Rome yes!!! I want to see the city!!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2014 at 4:47 AM

I see you have been busy :-) So pleased you were able to rescue this one. We are going to spend one night in Rome in September (on the way to Gubbio) and although we have been once before, many years ago, I know I'm going to enjoy browsing your tips for inspiration for our brief visit. I'll be back nearer the time!

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:52 PM

It was so much easier to upload the second time since the photos were already resized (which, for me, always seems to take the greatest portion of tip writing time). But this was always one of my favorite pages so I had to bring it back. I still have some more tips to write from my December 2013 return visit, but that I'll save for another day. I'm sure you'll enjoy revisiting Roma this fall!

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Utmost excitement!! Rome is coming back!!! I'll read when you are finished :-)

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:43 AM

Haha! You are following me ;-) I'm at 101 tips (I split one of the former tips into two) and that's about it for now. One day (not in the near future sadly) I will go through my photos and ideas from my trip with Jenn - there are some things to be added to the Rome page - just not enough time right now. So, yes, I'm finished (for now) - enjoy! I didn't link up my tips like I had before (or supply links to tips within tips). One day I may go back and do that, but time was/is getting away from me (I am supposed to be working on a research paper, but, alas, this was more fun!). :-)

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Yes, I am following you :-)) And good to know that I can start reading (most probably my Wednesday morning read) and that one day you'll add more :-) That will then come handy because I definitely want to be inspired for my Roma one day :-))

brendareed

“seeing the world, one weekend at a time”

Badges & Stats in Rome