"weekends in Rome" Rome by brendareed
Rome Travel Guide: 12,391 reviews and 27,848 photos
Hubby and I celebrated our 28th anniversary in Rome in February 2012 – a place neither of us had been to before but always near the top of our bucket list. What an experience!
Everything cooperated for us, including the weather, to make this a very memorable trip. We spent five days in the city and still feel like we only scratched the surface of places to see, foods to eat, and things to experience. We went at the end of February/early March so the crowds were not bad and we didn’t have to wait for very long, if at all, to see anything.
We started with many of the must-see items – the Vatican, St. Peter’s, the Roman Forum and Colosseum – and added to that many of the churches and sculptures that fill this magnificent city. As someone that loves art and history, I could spend many more days in Rome. The place is filled with Bernini, Caravaggio, Michelangelo, and Raphael…just to drop a couple names!
Rome is a walking city! And we walked! Hubby kept a pedometer going to keep track and over the course of the week we tallied up over 120,000 steps – the side benefit was that there was some guilt-free pizza and pasta eating going on! We were generally surprised at the size of the city (smaller than we imagined) and how close things were to each other. Before we arrived, we had planned to use the subway and bus system, but found that we really didn’t need to do that, it was typically just as quick or quicker to walk to where we wanted to get to – plus we could see so much more above ground than under it!
Rome is definitely a must-see city and should be on everyone’s bucket list! I highly recommend traveling in the off-season to avoid the heat and the crowds and prepare for some heavy walking. You will be rewarded with magnificent sights and phenomenal food! A great experience overall! And one that I hope to repeat in the near future with another trip to this magnificent city of art, history, and culture!
UPDATE: I returned to Rome over the Christmas holiday break in 2013 with my daughter and her friend. It was fun to revisit some of these places, share my interest in art and architecture with them, and experience new places on this trip.
Many of Caravaggio’s exquisite paintings are on display in Rome. This Italian artist was influential on the Baroque... more travel advice
The master artist Michelangelo Buonarroti was called to Rome by Pope Julius II to sculpt his future tomb, a project that... more travel advice
- See All Scammers - when it sounds too good to be...
- See All Walking around the city
- See All try the gelato
- See All Books, maps, and audio tours
brendareed's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "weekends in Rome"
- "La Città Dei Sette Colli"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 101 Reviews
- 378 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
Photos in RomeSee All Photos (378)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 117 reviews, 387 photos
- Rome Intro, 101 reviews, 378 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 47 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 31 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dakar Intro, 38 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monreale Intro, 9 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalú Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ile de Goree Intro, 8 reviews, 35 photos
- Massiges Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos
- Schloss Neuschwanstein Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos