"weekend at Maria Laach" Top 5 Page for this destination Maria Laach by brendareed
Maria Laach Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 105 photos
Maria Laach is a magnificent Benedictine abbey near the Laacher See (Lake Laach) in the Eifel region of the Rhineland-Palatinate. The Romanesque church dates back to the 12th century and has been beautifully maintained and has some stunning newer mosaics in the apse. Under the Benedictine order, the abbey was a center of spirituality and study in the 12th century. It was dissolved in the 1800s and the buildings were given over the Jesuits who continued to study at the abbey until 1892 when the Benedictines returned to Maria Laach. The church was restored under the patronage of Kaiser Wilhelm II.
The church itself is well worth a visit (the actual monastery grounds are off limits to visits). Additionally, the area surrounding the church has a guest information center with an informative introductory video, a garden center where visitors can purchase plants tended by the monks, a hotel, restaurants, and shops.
We visited Maria Laach on a beautiful Sunday afternoon in the spring and it was rather crowded. Parking was at a premium but we were able to find a spot and we began our tour with the video in the information building. From there we visited the church, had some ice cream at the hotel restaurant, and wandered around the garden shop.
Maria Laach, despite the crowds, was a relaxing place to be. You could feel the peace of the monastery permeate throughout the workings of the abbey, from the monk that assisted us in the information center to the helpfulness of the clerks in the garden shop. And the architecture and beauty of the church is simply magnificent! Well worth a visit to see this church.
We have since made a couple day trips to this same region to do some day hikes. Each time it has been a good experience and we come away with some beautiful memories.
The Romanesque basilica sports six towers and has been beautifully well preserved. As you approach the church, you will... more travel advice
We were ready for a snack after touring the abbey so we headed over to the restaurant. There were actually three places... more travel advice
brendareed's Related Pages
Maria Laach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WELCOME TO MY MARIA LAACH / EIFEL PAGE ......:-)"
- "weekend at Maria Laach"
- "Maria Laach - Ancient Monastery"
- "Maria Laach"
- "Maria Laach Abbey"
- "MARIA LAACH"
- "It Exists"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maria Laach
- Hotels in Maria Laach
- Transportation in Maria Laach
- Restaurants in Maria Laach
- Shopping in Maria Laach
- Warnings and Dangers in Maria Laach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maria Laach
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Maria Laach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maria Laach
Photos in Maria LaachSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 100 reviews, 439 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 88 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 52 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 43 reviews, 196 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz Intro, 37 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alsfeld Intro, 43 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 28 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 31 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sicilia Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (29)
Latest Maria Laach hotel reviews
- Seehotel Maria Laach
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 25, 2013