"weekend in Breisach am Rhein" Breisach am Rhein by brendareed
Breisach am Rhein Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 51 photos
We spent a day in Briesach am Rhein on the final leg of an extended holiday weekend trip. Not wanting to make a real long drive home, we opted to stay overnight in this town on the Rhein River that we didn’t know a lot about. Initially, I selected this because of the hotel and its proximity to Neuf-Brisach, France, a UNESCO site where the entire town is part of Vauban’s most stunning fortification. However, as we toured around the German town of Briesach am Rhein, we found that it was a pleasant town with much to offer visitors.
Situated on the Rhein River, from the overlooks of Breisach am Rhein one can literally look across the river into France. It is on the border of the two countries. The town was the first in Europe to vote for a united Europe some 50 years ago and they are proud of their vote as symbolized in the bull statue near the cathedral.
Unfortunately during World War II much of the town was destroyed, which is disappointing when you read the signs to learn about what you are looking at and find that it isn’t the original. This happened with quite a few things in Breisach – either it was a rebuilt or it was merely the spot where something used to be and was never rebuilt.
The Tourist Information Office does a spectacular job of marking the town’s sites with signs in German, French, and English and providing maps for four different walking tours within the town. The four tours include the Münsterberg tour, the Fort tour, the lower city tour, and Poetry en route, where various poems (mostly in German) are posted along the pathway that surrounds vineyards and the old castle. We spent part of our time in Briesach taking the Münsterberg tour, which included many of the older parts of the city high up on the hill near the cathedral (and our hotel). We did head down into town and toured parts of the lower city tour and the poetry tour as well.
Breisach am Rhein: we really did enjoy our time here and can easily see ourselves visiting again or making this a home base for the French Colmar region or the German Freiburg im Breisgau area.
The Münster, St. Stephen’s Cathedral, sits high above the town of Breisach am Rhein. The building is a combination of... more travel advice
Looking over the town of Breisach from the cathedral, one can look over at another smaller hill near the middle of town... more travel advice
brendareed's Related Pages
Breisach am Rhein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "weekend in Breisach am Rhein"
- "Historical River and Border town"
- ""Real" page coming soon - just an appetizer"
- "BREISACH - Welcome to Germany from France"
- "A little gem on the French border"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Breisach am Rhein
- 10 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Breisach am Rhein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Breisach am Rhein
Photos in Breisach am RheinSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 100 reviews, 439 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 88 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 52 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 43 reviews, 196 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz Intro, 37 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alsfeld Intro, 43 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 28 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 31 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sicilia Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (29)
Latest Breisach am Rhein hotel reviews
- Best Western Hotel Am Muenster
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 13, 2013