"weekend in Dinkelsbühl" Top 5 Page for this destination Dinkelsbühl by brendareed
Dinkelsbühl Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 126 photos
We stopped in Dinkelsbühl during a weekend in Bavaria. Not knowing much about the town, I was struck by the uniquely painted and very colorful buildings lining the streets! Each building had a painted name sign and the colors were next the same one next to another – yellows, reds, oranges, greens.
While waiting for friends to meet up with, we walked around, looking in shop windows and generally admiring the town. Once we were all together, we did a self-walking tour that included the Gothic style church, Münster St. Georg, and a walk around part of the wall looking at the many towers.
Dinkelsbühl is on the “Romantic Road” of Bavaria that begins in Würzburg and heads south to Füssen with stops in three medieval walled towns (Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Dinkelsbühl, and Nördlingen). I was expecting it to be full of tourists, but there were only a handful of tour buses that I could see – perhaps since it was a Sunday in offseason helped out here!
The town was spared destruction throughout history – from the Thirty Years War to World War II – making it a wonderful example of a medieval walled city. It is the birthplace of Christoph von Schmid, famous for writing the words to the German Christmas Carol “Ihr Kinderlein kommet”.
The Tourist Information center is in the Altes Rathouse (Old Town Hall) and has free modern, clean toilets (always a plus!). There you can get information about several of the guided town tours, including the night watchman tour.
We were a week ahead of the start of their Christmas Market so it looks like we’ll have to return again to Dinkelsbühl.
Dinkelsbühl’s Tourist Information Center is housed in the old Rathaus (old town hall) at the Altrathausplatz near the... more travel advice
On our second visit to Dinkelsbühl, we walked around more of this walled city, one of only a few that were not... more travel advice
brendareed's Related Pages
Dinkelsbühl Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Delightful Dinkelsbuehl, a monument to culture...."
- "weekend in Dinkelsbühl"
- "Dinkelsbuehl: Lovely town with a cute name"
- "...more to come !"
- "Dinkelsbühl, a hidden gem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dinkelsbühl
- Hotels in Dinkelsbühl
- Transportation in Dinkelsbühl
- Restaurants in Dinkelsbühl
- Warnings and Dangers in Dinkelsbühl
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dinkelsbühl
- 15 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Dinkelsbühl?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dinkelsbühl
Photos in DinkelsbühlSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 100 reviews, 439 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 88 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 52 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 43 reviews, 196 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz Intro, 37 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alsfeld Intro, 43 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 28 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 31 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sicilia Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos