"The art of travel" view.finder's Profile

My background

I am an artist and writer based in the People's Republic of China where I have lived and worked since 2009. I currently split my time between the Middle Kingdom and the United Kingdom. When at home, I've a love of the outdoors and all things music and art. Born in North London but now more at home in the East End, Cotswolds or East Midlands.

Much of these reviews are taken from my travels in China but please see other more interesting entries from journeys through Great Britain, Poland and other parts of south-east Asia. With regards to China, there are so many places to write about and many that haven't been written about (in English) or are hard to find information on so I hope that you may gain some useful insight from these pages. I've used Chinese Mandarin (Pǔtōnghuà) and the phonetic pronunciation (Hànyǔ Pīnyīn) of the Chinese characters where possible.

China: past and present

When I moved to Ganzhou, Jiangxi Province, this September I found it was a rapidly growing city that largely hadn't been written about so when able I'll write up a few of the locations here that make life that little bit exciting, weird or comfortable for an expat abroad.

I never thought I would extract such satisfaction from writing supermarket reviews. Guess I was wrong. As a foreigner living in China stumbling across the right ingredients is still difficult in the People's Republic. Along with these trivial isle-side asides are lots more snippets of sightseeing and traveling around (mostly) central China from over two years in China.

Karl Pilkington said:

"Better to live in a cave looking at a palace than live in a palace looking at a cave."

Karl Pilkington - 'An Idiot Abroad'

Henry David Thoreau said:

"A man shall perhaps rush by and trample down plants as high as his head, and cannot be said to know that they exist, though he may have cut many tons of them, littered his stables with them, and fed them to his cattle for years. Yet, if he ever favorably attends to them, he may be overcome by their beauty."

Henry David Thoreau (1817–1862), U.S. philosopher, author, naturalist.

• Intro Updated Feb 28, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!