"Keimkujik National Park and Historic Site" Kejimkujik National Park by TooTallFinn24
Kejimkujik National Park Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 22 photos
While not widely advertised Keimkujik (pronounced Ke - jim - koo - jik ) National Park is a series of snapshots as to what the upland portion of the Atlantic Maritime provinces looked like hundreds of years ago. The park is relatively new established in 1967 and covers a vast area of about 400 square kilometers. The inland area consists of lush forests with many rivers and creeks flush with a wide variety of wildlife including beavers, bears, coyotes and squirrels.
A second distinct portion of the park sometimes referred to as the, "Seaside Adjunct," was added about seventeen years later. My trip was exclusively to the inland portion.
According to the information contained at the very informative visitor center the area has been inhabited for just over 4500 years by nomadic Indians. The Micmac occupied the area for over the last 2000 years as their home and took advantage of the abundant hunting and fishing opportunities. There are a series of petroglyphs in the park but they are available only by guided tour.
There are at least 15 hiking trails in the inland portion of the park that range from easy to moderate. Canoeing opportunities are amazing at the park. However due to the heavy rains we stayed exclusively on the trails.
Not to far from the visitor center is the Mersey River Trail. It is 2.2 km, easy to walk and gives you a good introduction to the park.
The park contains a wide variety of decidious trees including maples, hemlocks and other trees that can be quite spectacular during fall. Hiking on any one of the 15 trails can provide surprises.
- Pros:Scenic, Easily Accessible and Brilliant Fall Colors
- Cons:Watch out for heavy rains
- In a nutshell:Worth the time in Western and lower central Nova Scotia
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
Kejimkujik National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seals, bears and seagulls"
- "Lush with trails and beautiful lakes"
- "Keimkujik National Park and Historic Site"
- "Kejimkujik NP: the main park & seaside adjunct"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kejimkujik National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kejimkujik National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kejimkujik National Park
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Kejimkujik National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kejimkujik National Park
- Posted in Travel Avignon Forum "Re: Baladines in Avignon"
- updated a Kejimkujik National Park Travel Page "Keimkujik National Park and Historic Site"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Keimkujik National Park and Historic Site"
- Wrote a Review Heavy Rains A Danger for Canoeists in Kejimkujik National Park Warnings and Dangers
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 50 reviews, 167 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 32 photos
- Vicksburg Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos
- Toledo Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos