"Lunenberg: Seacoast Jewel in Nova Scotia" Lunenburg by TooTallFinn24
Lunenburg Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 329 photos
The town of Lunenberg is located on a peninsula on the western side of Mahone Bay. The town has about 2,300 residents and is approximtely 90 miles south of Halifax.
High on a hill overlooking much of Lunenberg sits the Lunenberg Academy. The academy was designed by H.H. Mott, a noted Canadian architect . Construction was begun in early 1894 and completed in 1895 at a cost of approximately $30,000.
The Lunenburg Academy is the only intact 19th century Academy building surviving in Nova Scotia.
The Academy is entirely a wood frame structure. It isthree stories high with a mansard roof.
The front and rear elevations each have a large central projecting frontispiece flanked by towers of slightly different design. At roof level large, segmental dormer windows flank the towers.
- Pros:Outstanding Architecture, Walkable and Great Sea Food
- Cons:Can be cold, rainy and windy
One of the prettiest towns in Nova Scotia is less than a two hour drive away in Annapolis Royal. It is one of my... more travel advice
Aside from the clapboard homes of small lots in downtown Lunenberg there are also some fine Victorian homes on the upper... more travel advice
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
Lunenburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lunenburg - A Wonderful & Colourful Town"
- "LOVELY LUNENBURG"
- "LUNENBURG, NOVA SCOTIA"
- "A day-trip to Lunenburg, home of Bluenose II"
- "So wonderful it is UNESCO rated."
- "Lunenberg: Seacoast Jewel in Nova Scotia"
- "Lunenburg - a rather dull UNESCO world heritage"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lunenburg
- Hotels in Lunenburg
- Transportation in Lunenburg
- Nightlife in Lunenburg
- Restaurants in Lunenburg
- Shopping in Lunenburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Lunenburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lunenburg
- 9 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Lunenburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lunenburg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Updates Today"
- Wrote a Review Drive Over To Annapolis Royal in Lunenburg Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Drive Over To Annapolis Royal"
- Commented on one of TooTallFinn24's Lunenburg tips
- updated a Lunenburg Travel Page "Lunenberg: Seacoast Jewel in Nova Scotia"
Photos in LunenburgSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 50 reviews, 168 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Budapest Intro, 16 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cesky Krumlov Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Lucerne Intro, 13 reviews, 46 photos