"Devils Tower: Sacred Site in NE Wyoming" Top 5 Page for this destination Devils Tower by TooTallFinn24
Devils Tower Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 262 photos
It's amazing how a movie can have an affect on wanting to see a particular site. Twenty years ago steadfastly watching,"Close Encounters of the Third Kind," the mystery of the site grew in me. Where exactly is it? How do we get there? Finally years later we drove to the site after flying into Billings.
Devils Tower sits high above the surrounding landscape. Depending on which way you approach the tower it can be seen as far as 50 miles away. The high plains of Wyoming in the area are over 3,700 feet high and the tower itself extends another 1,246 feet above the terrain.
Before approaching the Visitors Center I was under the belief that the rock itself was an old volcano. i was wrong. Devils Tower is actually an igneous intrusion. The formation occurred when magma started up into the surrounding sedimentary rock. There the magma cooled and hardened. Over time the surrounding rock away to create the high tower.
Getting to Devils Tower takes time and patience. It is about 2 to 2 1/2 hours from Rapid City, South Dakota and slightly less from Gillette, Wyoming. It is not even close to a major transcontinental highway.
- Pros:Stunning Formation, Great Trails and Rock Climb
- Cons:Isolated, Visitor Center In Need of Modernization
- In a nutshell:Worth a visit
The visitors center at Devils Tower is small and cramped. The exhibits are informative but in need of updating. The... more travel advice
As you walk along the Tower Trail you will see little bundles of cloth and beads tied to Ponderosa trees. The cloth... more travel advice
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
Devils Tower Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "World's Largest Laccolith"
- "Devils Tower: Sacred Site in NE Wyoming"
- "One of America's Great Natural Landmarks"
- "A special place"
- "Devil's Tower"
- "Natural Monument Devil's Tower"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Devils Tower
- Hotels in Devils Tower
- Transportation in Devils Tower
- Nightlife in Devils Tower
- Restaurants in Devils Tower
- Shopping in Devils Tower
- Warnings and Dangers in Devils Tower
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Devils Tower
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Devils Tower?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Devils Tower
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 49 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Lucerne Intro, 13 reviews, 46 photos
- Budapest Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos
- Vicksburg Intro, 14 reviews, 42 photos