"El Paso: City of Sun and Sharp Contrasts" Top 5 Page for this destination El Paso by TooTallFinn24
El Paso Travel Guide: 216 reviews and 615 photos
Nestled as far west as possible on the western tip of Texas, El Paso is a city of contrasts. These contrasts include from very rich to very poor, safe to very dangerous, and scenic to downright disgusting.
We flew into El Paso from Sacramento during early February for a five day stay in the area. The weather was unseasonably warm and the sky was mostly clear. The El Paso International Airport is a modern and well laid out facility. It was easy to navigate to as far as the parking lot. However the street and freeway system took some time to adjust to and after a few wrong turns we finally made it to our hotel.
Statistically, El Paso is the 19th largest city in the United States and the sixth largest in Texas with a population of about 650,000. The Rio Grande River runs through the City and on the other side of the City's south border sits the most dangerous place in North America, Ciudad Juarez. It is located also in the Chihuhuan Desert and the area receives only about 10 inches of rain per year.
El Paso has invested heavily in the arts. There is an art and museum district that contains several outstanding museums. There is also the very unique Golden Horseshoe District that is comprised of over 500 stores in the southern part of town. The City is also home to Franklin Park the largest urban park in terms of gross area in the United States. A tramway also jets you quickly up to the highest point in the City providing some great views of El Paso and Mexico.
There are absolutely gorgeous homes on Rim and Scenic Drives that look down on the city. A Unfortunately there are also some very poor barrios and areas of the city as well.
To appreciate El Paso you must get off the freeway and look at the town. What I think you will find is a city rich in culture and arts with some outstanding restaurants as well.
- Pros:Culturally Rich with Some Great Restaurants
- Cons:Hot and Isolated in West Texas
If you are in El Paso and looking for some real natural beauty in a remote setting by all means drive east to Guadalupe... more travel advice
For years now the press has documented the horrific homicides that take place daily in Ciuduad Jaurez, immediately... more travel advice
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
El Paso Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Sun City"
- "Jumping Around El Paso!"
- "El Paso: City of Sun and Sharp Contrasts"
- "Basaic El Paso Page"
- "El Paso, Texas"
- "El Paso appears not to be Bush country"
- "El Paso"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Paso
- Hotels in El Paso
- Transportation in El Paso
- Nightlife in El Paso
- Restaurants in El Paso
- Shopping in El Paso
- Warnings and Dangers in El Paso
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Paso
- 13 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to El Paso?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Paso
- Posted in Travel Honolulu Forum "Re: HNL tall buildings with free..."
- Wrote a Review Guadalupe National Park: Less Than 2 Hours East in El Paso Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Guadalupe National Park: Less Than 2 Hours East"
- created a El Paso Travel Page "El Paso: City of Sun and Sharp Contrasts"
- Commented on one of atufft's El Paso travel pages
Photos in El PasoSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 49 reviews, 167 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 32 photos
- Toledo Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos