"Artesia: Public Art Surprise in So. New Mexico" Artesia by TooTallFinn24
Artesia Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 26 photos
When you drive in from the west into Artesia it appears to be just a small highly industrial and ugly community in New Mexico. However that image changes rapidly as you approach the main street of town.
Starting at the intersection of the two main highways (US 82 and 285) there is a most impressive display of public art. The New Mexico cowboy is depicted in three large sculptures. Further down Main Street there is a great piece of public art that celebrates the men and women that work in the oil fields around Artesia. The works are large and very impressive.
The 11,000 or so odd residents of Artesia have a right to be proud of their art and well preserved downtown. There is a nice older movie theater and several older buildings that are well preserved. The Artesia City Hall is just a block off Main Street and is a nice building as well.
A lot can be said about a town's history by a sculpture. The Derrick Floor Sculpture is a striking bronze sculpture... more travel advice
As you drive down Main Street one of the things that will catch your eye is the giant Marquee at the Land of the Sun... more travel advice
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
Artesia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Artesia: Public Art Surprise in So. New Mexico"
- "Artesia, New Mexico"
- "Basaic Artesia Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Artesia
- 7 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Artesia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Artesia
Photos in ArtesiaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 49 reviews, 167 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 32 photos
- Toledo Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos