"Colorful Helena in the Heart of Montana" Top 5 Page for this destination Helena by TooTallFinn24
Helena Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 72 photos
Helena's history, as with many other Western cities, was tied to the discovery of precious minerals. In the case of Helena it was the discovery of gold in 1864. Rewind to July of 1864 when four miners from Georgia who had little success finding gold made a big find. It was literally their last chance before returning home and they struck it rich. The area outside of town became known as Last Chance Gulch, The amount of the gold found in the area was so great that by 1888, Helena had more millionaires per capita than any where in the world.
This is clear in the buildings that make up the downtown and the lower hills in town. Magnificent buildings and homes are peppered through this surprisingly small city of just 29,000 people.
Evidence of the city's history are found throughout the town and surrounding area from abandoned mining equipment to statues and sculptures commerating the City's past.
Downtown Helena is one of the prettiest and best kept up downtowns in the Western United States. The only pedestrian mall in Montana, referred to as Last Chance Gulch, it stretches for several streets. Each street is called out by wayfinding signs for its significance in the history of Helena. Statues, monuments, restaurants and shops make up the downtown area. All of it done in good taste and remarkably clean.
However as pretty as it looks much of Helena's historic fabric was lost during the urban renewal times of the 1970's. During this time over 240 buildings in the historic district were demolished to make way for renewal. The losses of historic buildings in Helena became to be a community issue which peaked after the loss of the beautiful old Marlow Theater. However since that time things have changed and a very active Downtown Helena association and wonderful groups such as helenaonline.com have realized the financial good sense of saving many of the remaining historic buildings downtown.
We walked the area early on a Sunday morning in October. Few people were out and the ones that were could be found in one of the many restaurants open for Sunday brunch or breakfast. What we did find however was a very well kept up pedestrian mall full of surprises on every block. Definitely worth a trip to see.
For a small city Helena has an array of public buildings and churches that would be the envy of a city several times its size. The magnificent Helena Cathedral juts over 240 feet with its towers and was designed after the Cologne Cathedral. The Civic Center from a distance looks like a mosque. However this interesting building holds the offices of the City of Helena as well as many arts and recreation functions for its residents. Other public buildings in the central business district for Lewis and Clark County and other churches are designed with the same architectural detail that is rare in a city as small as Helena.
- Pros:Pretty, well kept up city with many dining choices
- Cons:Winters are brutally cold
I had the chance to visit this place twice while on a short stay in Helena. The Quarry Bar and Grille is attached to the... more travel advice
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
Helena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A capital and a boomtown"
- "Colorful Helena in the Heart of Montana"
- "A decade in Helena"
- "Windseekr's new Helena Page"
- "EmilyS's Helena Page"
- "Sammi59601's New Helena Page"
- "Helena at the Foot of the Rockies"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helena
- Hotels in Helena
- Restaurants in Helena
- Shopping in Helena
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helena
- 11 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Helena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helena
- Posted in Travel Las Vegas Forum "Re: Safety (Danger)"
- Wrote a Review State Capitol Building: Worth A Look-WIP 10/17/13 in Helena Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Walk North Ewing Around the Old Governors Mansion"
- Commented on one of TooTallFinn24's Helena travel pages
- updated a Helena Travel Page "Colorful Helena in the Heart of Montana"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 50 reviews, 167 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 32 photos
- Toledo Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos