"Woodland Ca; Dont Miss This City if in Sac. Area" Woodland by TooTallFinn24
Woodland Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 21 photos
if you are visiting Sacramento, or on your way to Lake Tahoe and San Francisco and looking for the quintessential beautiful Central Valley town then Woodland is the answer. The City has managed to preserve many outstanding homes and businesses that are well over 100 years old. Woodland is a joy to walk through and get a glimpse of the past. There are also some great restaurants, some interesting public buildings and a weird site that you just have to see.
Prior to European settlement the area was occupied by the Poo-e-win Indians, who are related to the Patwins. In 1853 a small store was established among a grove of oak trees. Other stores soon followed and a local merchant by the named Major Freeman soon offered free lots to those who would clear the land. Thus started the town of Yolo City which later became Woodland which incorporated in 1878. While many of Woodland's historic buildings have been destroyed by fire or town down, the City still has an extremely large number of historic buildings from the late 19th and early 20th century particularly along Main Street.
According to Shipley Waters who chronicles the history of Woodland the town grew because of its rich soil, good transportation systems, and its function as the seat of Yolo County government.
At the turn of the 20th century one source indicated that the City of Woodland had more millionaires than any other town in California!
One hundred and fifty years later the City of Woodland is now a town of over 55,000 people and also is the seat of Yolo County.
The above picture is of the Gable Mansion, perhaps the most famous historic home in Woodland. The house located on 659 First Street was built for Amos and Harry Gable in 1894. It is an outstanding example of Italianate and Stick Venacular architecture. It also is a California State Historical Landmark, a very unique honor in the state.
Woodland, is unique, in that the City through great efforts has preserved and restored a large number of fabulous buildings and homes.
The Opera House shown below, which is located on Main Street, was constructed in 1892. It was closed in 1913 and was kept unused until it was purchased by the Yolo County Historical Society. It is now part of the California State Park System.
This outstanding Queen Anne home is located on College Street just a few blocks off of Main Street. Note the sweeping veranda and the tower turrets.
Every year, usually on the second weekend in September, the Woodland Historical Society and other local groups have a "Stroll Through History," which consists of a series of walking tours and home tours of Woodland's historic homes.
As a guide to Woodland's historic homes, the City of Woodland in conjunction with their Historic Resources Commission has produced, "Exploring Historic Woodland," a great 260 page guide of the homes and buildings of Woodland. Ron Pinegar of the Woodland Community Development Department was the project manager.
- Pros:Outstanding Preserved Homes and Buildings, Walkable
- Cons:Somewhat Isolated, 25 miles from Sacramento
- In a nutshell:Take a walk and relive the early 1900's
Hidden down a small street in an industrial center the Heidrick Ag History Center and Museum is easy to miss. As a... more travel advice
Located at 667 Main Street, Ludy's first appears to be just your normal small downtown restaurant. However the inside... more travel advice
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
Woodland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Woodland Ca; Dont Miss This City if in Sac. Area"
- "Keeper_John's new Woodland page"
- "Woodland: City of Trees"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Woodland
- Hotels in Woodland
- Transportation in Woodland
- Restaurants in Woodland
- Shopping in Woodland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Woodland
- 8 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (89)
Have you been to Woodland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Woodland
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Update to Giampiero's..."
- Commented on one of TooTallFinn24's Woodland travel pages
- updated a Woodland Travel Page "Woodland Ca; Dont Miss This City if in Sac. Area"
- Wrote a Review Heidrick Ag History Center and Museum in Woodland Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Heidrick Ag History Center and Museum"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 50 reviews, 168 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Budapest Intro, 16 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cesky Krumlov Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Lucerne Intro, 13 reviews, 46 photos