"West Sacramento: Stop In When Coming East or West" West Sacramento by TooTallFinn24
West Sacramento Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 23 photos
West Sacramento, is more than just the city on the other side of the river. It has a distinct heart and soul, that is unique from other cities in the Sacramento Region.
The City is a mere teen by the standards of other cities in California. It was incorporated in 1987 as the fourth City in Yolo County. It currently has approximately 49,000 residents.
I worked as the City Planner or Planning Director for the City for 22 years. So I have seen a lot change in those years. When I first started the City contained three adult book stores and a gay gym with lots of run down housing. Today the City has none of these uses and contains some civic structures and tourist destinations along the Sacramento River that any City would be proud of. It also has one of the most aggressive and better functioning City Council's of any City in its region. What's more it contains Raley Field, home of the Sacramento Rivercats, and an AAA ballpark, constructed in 1999, that is consistently in the top three AAA parks in the country in terms of annual attendance
So come and let me take you on a brief tour of some of the sights, places and tourist destinations in this City. A City that is easy to be missed if driving along Interstate 50 or the I-80 bypass going to San Francisco or Lake Tahoe. However something worth seeing for a few hours or to have lunch or dinner.
Riverwalk Park is an riverfront promenade that will ultimately stretch from along a several mile area of the Sacramento River. Sacramento across the river has nothing like it. The first phase of the park, which spans from the Tower Bridge to approximately one block south of the I Street Bridge, was completed in 1999. The Riverwalk park provides a comfortable approximately two mile walk currently and has great views of the Sacramento River, new skyscrapers in West Sacramento and views of the City of Sacramento across the river. A great place to see the river and whats more it is easy to park.
n 2011, the City of West Sacramento completed construction of the West Sacramento Community Center. The Community Center has been designed as a multi-generational facility, with a strong senior center component. The two-story building is located on the corner of West Capitol Avenue and Merkley Avenue and contains a senior lounge, art and historical galleries, black box theatre, cafe, day care center, meeting rooms, and staff offices. The Community Center is located across the street from City Hall on West Capitol Avenue.
- Pros:River Walk, Raley Field. Regional Leader
- Cons:Limited Restaurants
- In a nutshell:West Sacramento Worth Stopping and Seeing
You would never know it from the freeway but there is actually a great place to kayak or row in West Sacramento. Located... more travel advice
if you enjoy professional baseball, want a seat as close as possible to the field and don't want to pay an arm and a leg... more travel advice
TooTallFinn24's Related Pages
West Sacramento Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "West Sacramento: Stop In When Coming East or West"
- "West Sacramento is mostly businesses"
- "west sacramento"
- See All...
- Things to Do in West Sacramento
- Hotels in West Sacramento
- Restaurants in West Sacramento
- See All...
Badges & Stats in West Sacramento
- 8 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to West Sacramento?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in West Sacramento
- Posted in Travel Claremont Forum "Re: What to do tonight?"
- Commented on one of TooTallFinn24's West Sacramento travel pages
- updated a West Sacramento Travel Page "West Sacramento: Stop In When Coming East or West"
- Wrote a Review Sail or Kayak Along Lake Washington and Port in West Sacramento Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sail or Kayak Along Lake Washington and Port"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento Intro, 48 reviews, 163 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chico Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Davis Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos
- Granada Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 32 photos
- Toledo Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos